ISO: Inspiration pork cubes, sweet potatoes, mushrooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I thought I pulled a pork roast out of the freezer. Turns out it is cubed pork. I don't have time to run to the store, so I was thinking a pork pot pie.

Recipe Details

The only thing is, I like top and bottom crusts. The other thing is I don't want to eat pork pot pie for a week. I can't be bothered to do this in the pie-maker--it would take me all day. I have a bunch of small corningware casseroles was thinking of using those.

I am open to other ideas. I have onion, garlic, green beans, corn, tomatoes, potatoes, sweet potatoes (was going to sub the sweet potatoes for the squash), lots of dried mushrooms of all kinds, green peppers, chick peas, and pinto beans, rice, pineapple, coconut, beef, pork, chicken, turkey, and shrimp stock, coconut milk, lemon grass...the other usual suspects. I made pisole last weekend--don't feel like making a pork-based chili. What would you make with about 2-1/2 lb of pork cubes? I don't feel like grinding it--I have ground pork in the freezer.

Last edited:
Sweet and Sour Pork over quinoa or other grain. Use green pepper, onions, the sweet potato and pineapple.

We make individual chicken pot pies in small corning ware ramekins (about 6" in diameter). I'm sure it would also work for pork. We only use a top crust. It's either pie crust dough or puff pastry.

Of course, you could also marinate the pork cubes and deep fry them. They're great with a chimichurri type sauce.

Thanks, Andy. I have two of that size ramekins. I am leaning doing both--a couple of pot pies and a thai-inspired stir fried. I weighed the pork--I have just under 3 lb. I think I froze it to make sausage...I only labeled it "pork" and the date--that should have been my clue that it wasn't a roast...of which I have several in the freezer. My brain hit a brick wall when I opened the package and saw cubes instead of the roast I was planning on brining in maple syrup, etc.

Pork fried rice? Pork stew in the CP? Pork cubes with BBQ sauce?

Last edited:
Shepherds Pie with pork. Mash the sweet potatoes and use for the topping.

Good idea, Pac, but I'm going with stir-fry--PF got me thinking (but I'm not in the mood for sweet-and-sour pork, although I could use the pineapple and some of the maple syrup I evaporated today). I mixed up half a batch of Snip's Curry paste--I added some chopped up lemongrass (picked up a kg at the Vietnamese market in the frozen section--it was under $4). My plan is to incorporate green beans, green peppers, some water chestnuts, carrot (I think I still have carrots), and serve over rice noodles--my quinoa supply is low. I will toss some greens in on top at the end and some lime juice and lime zest. I'll post how it turns out in the dinner thread. Thanks for the ideas (I am going to make a shepherd's pie topped with mashed sweet potatoes, but not today--and I must try cubes deep-fried...).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom