ISO - Spam Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salem95

Assistant Cook
Hello

It's time to use and replenshish my hurricane kit, which includes a couple cans of Spam. I haven't eaten Spam since I was a kid and the only way I've ever eat it is pan fried and spambuger (bun, lettuce, pickle, mayo, etc). I'm not much of a cook and generally like simple food.

So what's your favorite way to prepare Spam?
Thanks

Grind a can of Spam along with 3 or 4 sweet pickles in a meat grinder (or chop well in food processor - or chop finely with a knife).

Stir in enough Miracle Whip (or mayonnaise if you prefer) to moisten.

Spread on bread or crackers.

This is my husband's and my favorite way to eat Spam. :yum:

Spam is like Velveeta and McDonalds.

It's one of those things people love to hate but sometimes it's what is needed and there are no substitutes. :rolleyes:

Pan fried is the only way to go ;)

I've used it diced in a Denver omelet. I understand in Hawaii they put it in stir-fries, although I haven't tried that.

Last edited:
I had a girlfriend that during hard times she took a whole spam, scored it, put cloves in the diamonds and poured crushed pineapple over it. It fed her and her husband an elegant first anniversary meal.

Hormel (the maker of Spam) has a site with recipes for Spam. On rare occassions, I will buy the Lite can of Spam. Far less salt and really edible.

http://www.hormel.com/recipes/search.aspx?keywords=Spam&keywordsOnly=True :angel:

Last edited:
I had a girlfriend that during hard times she took a whole spam, scored it, put cloves in the diamonds and poured crushed pineapple over it. It fed her and her husband an elegant first anniversary meal.

my mom made something like that for my siblings and i (there's 6 of us) many years ago. it never occurred to me that it might have been because we were short on money. it was delicious nonetheless, as was/is all of my mom's cooking, so that never mattered.

for me, pan fried on polish rye with raw onions and spicy brown mustard is the way to go. :yum:

I don't eat SPAM but if I did I'd do spicy SPAM fried rice with crab, pineapple, and black pepper, topped with minced cilantro and a drizzle of Sriracha. Or maybe slice it thin and do a roasted veggies and SPAM pizza. It's been so long since I've eaten SPAM that I can't tell if it would make a good breakfast taco, but I'd be willing to saute up some cubes of it and scramble it in with some eggs, and throw all that in a good corn tortilla with some roasted habanero salsa.
Might be interesting to make smoked SPAM and serve it similar to barbecue.
I'd even be willing to do a SPAM pâté or a SPAM consomme and see where that experiment leads.

Last edited:
I treat it like bacon, sliced very thin and crisped. My friend serves chunks of pineapple and spicy Spam on toothpicks with a Tamari, ginger and garlic dipping sauce. I tried the jalapeno and also the black pepper Spam. Not bad! Of course, Spam is a once a month thing for us.

When we were kids my mum would make a pancake type batter, dip the spam in it and shallow fry it. We would have it with something like baked beans and mashed potatoes. Just remember, it is what it is, a cheap, nutritious comfort food that fed a generation when times were tough, maybe not that healthy by today's standards but it supplies a meal, you won't go hungry and it will taste OK but whatever you do.............it's still Spam! Go the whole way and have it with french fries on the side, why not??

I like to fry it in butter and make a sandwich with inon and mustard. Probably have one of these once a year, but it is good.

How about some Spam, a slice of pineapple and dipped in French's finely crushed Onions. Or a slice of Spam, a ring of pineapple between two slices of bread and dipped in eggs. Hawaiian French Toast?

Anyone else have an idea for Spam? :angel:

Spam was on sale. 3 cans for $5.00. I couldn't pass it up.

I haven't had it for at least 30 years and was surprised to see it comes in so many varieties.

I got Turkey Spam, Bacon Spam, and Spam Classic.

Don't know when I'm going to use it because I kind of see it as an emergency stash but I'm going to keep an eye on this thread and the good ideas it has. ;)

I have been looking at the Spam website, I never knew how many lovely recipes they had!

I have found one we are certainly trying next week Cauliflower au Gratin, looks lovely!

Recipe

Back
Top Bottom