Making Turkey Meatballs - Need Parsley Subsitute

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newjuliea

Assistant Cook
Hello seasoned cooks. I am making turkey meatballs for dinner. The recipe calls for 1/4 c of fresh parsley. I don't have fresh parsley, and I am running low on dried parsley. What other dried herb can I use as a substitute? Thanks for your help

Hmm. Dried and fresh parsley have different flavors. Do you have any other fresh stuff, like kale, mint or chives, that you can mince finely and add? Otherwise, I'd leave it out or just use whatever small amount of dried parsley you have.

Last edited:
I have a lot of dried basil and substitute it for parsley all the time. They are both green and that's good enough for me ;)
I don't think basil would change the flavor of the intended recipe as much as subbing mint would, but I'll bet the mint would taste good. Turkey is kind of bland on its own.

Hi newjuliea, and welcome! :)

Without seeing your recipe for your turkey meatballs, I don't know what other herbs you are adding in addition to the parsley. I would go ahead and add whatever dried parsley you have, and add some dried sage and thyme, if you have it. It won't be green or a sub for parsley, but should do in a pinch since you're making it for tonight's dinner.

Personally, I would skip the parsley altogether rather than sub with something else. Unless you are making something like tabouli, which is dependent on the flavor of parsley, I don't think it will be missed. This is particularly true for cooked foods, where parsley's flavor all but vanishes.

Last edited:
Hello seasoned cooks. I am making turkey meatballs for dinner. The recipe calls for 1/4 c of fresh parsley. I don't have fresh parsley, and I am running low on dried parsley. What other dried herb can I use as a substitute? Thanks for your help

Dried or fresh celery leaves have a very similar flavor to parsley, but not as strong. They will work in just about any meatball recipe you can think of. Depending on your recipe, you can also sub cilantro. But it is a very strong herb, and so care is needed to not use too much. Tof find the correct amount, mix a little into your meatball mixture. Take a little bit out, a tbs. worth, flatten it into a patty, and lightly brown in a skillet. Taste it and correct the seasoning.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Dried cilantro doesn't have much flavor. And it's green. Dried chives will add color and a little onion flavor.

Back
Top Bottom