One tomato each - a dozen varieties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

velochic

Sous Chef
I have about 3 pounds of various tomatoes from our local community supported agriculture (CSA) box. Some are tiny variegated grape tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, yellow, green, variegated Bigboys, etc. One of each type. I thought about doing a tomato salad, but my family wouldn't go for it. At this point, I'm about to take them to work and just let people take them. Since they are of various flavors/acidity I just don't know what to do with them. Only one of us in my family likes to eat raw tomatoes. Any thoughts?

You might think about a tomato pie..They are wonderful with a nice green salad and even though there is a crust my guys love nice hot rolls and butter

kadesma:)

Make a nice rustic tomato sauce: Five Minute Tomato Sauce Recipe - 101 Cookbooks If it seems too acidic, add a little sugar, or if too sweet, add a little vinegar, till you get the balance you like.

A tip: I was searching for recipes for tomato jam last weekend and came across an easy way to peel a tomato: Cut it in half widthwise and grate with the large holes of a box grater directly into a saucepan or mixing bowl. HTH.

Well If had all those tomatoes I would probably turn them into a sauce. That way I could portion it out and freeze it. Then whenever I needed a tomato sauce I would have it on hand. It could be used on chicken, pastas, pizza, and seafood. :)

Pizza - Chicago style with sliced tomatoes on top.

:mrgreen:Pizza is a perfect food! IMO
I've only met one pizza I never liked ~ it was some weird creation my brother loved.

My mom used to take tomatoes by the bushel and stew them for use in sauces later. She would vacuum seal them and keep them in the freezer. She would make killer spaghetti sauce with the frozen stewed tomatoes. Much better than canned any day.

I've only met one pizza I never liked ~ it was some weird creation my brother loved.

My mom used to take tomatoes by the bushel and stew them for use in sauces later. She would vacuum seal them and keep them in the freezer. She would make killer spaghetti sauce with the frozen stewed tomatoes. Much better than canned any day.

Well we all know your brother is a wierdo!

IMO

OOPS that had nothing to do with tomato so .....I Like your idea about stewing and freezing them.

Last edited:
I would blanch then peel, coat in olive oil and roast, then make a roasted tomato soup. Just sweat down a large vidallia onion, add tomatoes(pureed), add butter and cream some salt and pepper, and maybe finish with some fresh basil.

I have about 3 pounds of various tomatoes from our local community supported agriculture (CSA) box. Some are tiny variegated grape tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, yellow, green, variegated Bigboys, etc. One of each type. I thought about doing a tomato salad, but my family wouldn't go for it. At this point, I'm about to take them to work and just let people take them. Since they are of various flavors/acidity I just don't know what to do with them. Only one of us in my family likes to eat raw tomatoes. Any thoughts?

It's such a shame that most of the family don't like raw tomatoes.
The first thing that I thought of was a nice caprezze salad, which would be wonderful with the variety of tomatoes that you have.:)

Too bad your family doesn't go for the tomato salad thing. There is nothing better than a salad of fresh summer tomatoes, red onion, chopped fresh basil, salt and pepper, then sprinkled with capers, lemon juice and olive oil. Top with goat cheese for a real treat. Show them this picture. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• tomato-mozarella-salad.jpg
    tomato-mozarella-salad.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 273
Oh, dearie me. Yes, many of my friends do not like raw tomatoes! I consider them to be the entire reason summer exists! That said, I harvest them, then cut them across the belly (as opposed to vertically). I seed them a bit (not religiously), popping the seeds and goo into a seive. Then I slice an onion, smush a bit of garlic, and take whatever pepper is in the garden and roast at a about 400 for an hour or two. Then hubby and I put them through a food mill. The liquid that drains from the seeds is tomato juice for soups and such (too watery for sauce).

What about a tomato bread salad?
3 cups tomatoes chopped
small onion chopped
basil leaves chopped thin
feta cheese in small chunks (other cheeses are good too)
2 cups toasted bread chunks (bagette or whole grain)

Toss together, and drizzle with an olive oil and cider vinegar mix with herbs, let it set for a few minutes to soak it up, and enjoy.

Remove stems and cut in chunks. Place in food processor. Pulse till chunkey and liquidy. Proceed to make chilli. Put a raw potato in the chili while simmering. Bet it will be great. The potato will take and sharp tang out.

AC

My husband and his daughter don't like ripe tomatoes, and it just blows my mind! When we first married, I got him to try a bite of a big beautiful Brandywine, but he just didn't like it.
He will eat them in homemade salsa, though. Have you thought about trying that?
Have you tried making a pasta and tossing chopped raw tomatoes in it (among other things)? The tomatoes cook a little from the heat of the pasta, and they might go for it.
Or you could blanch, skin and chop them, and put them in any kind of casserole.
You can also slow roast them in your oven along with onion, garlic, olive oil and seasoning. Slip the skin off after you take them out, and freeze in small Zipp locks with a little of the oil in the pan. Later you can add them to sauces, stews or soups.
Any of those methods will maintain the integrity of the individual tomato.

Honestly, if it were me, I'd make a beautiful tomato salad for myself and let the rest of them eat frozen pizza. What you don't eat can processed in any of the ways above.

One word...

SALSA!!!

Dice, tomatoes, onions, fresh hot peppers, cilantro(not too much), garlic,
Take a can of black beans. Smash half into a paste, stir that in add the rest of the beans whole. Add just a little sugar and lemon juice. Chill, serve with your favorite chips.

Back
Top Bottom