Poblanos, chorizo... don't want to stuff them. Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Once when my husband and I were in Mexico I had an amazing pasta dish with chorizo, and sauteed onion,tomato,garlic, and very thinly sliced jalapeno. The veggies were all cooked till tender and the pan deglazed with a spanish white wine. With a sprinkle of mexican cheese (the kind that crumbles and tastes like feta, forgot the name of it) it's heaven. I made it for us when we got back home and it's amazing with penne pasta or bowtie. I think you could get away with using pablanos and it's important to use a high quality chorizo that you can cook in the casing and then slice once it's cooked. I used chorizo flavored chicken sausage from TJ's.

Hey, cool! Two recipes for next week in the same thread!

I came back here to print out Drama Queen's Chourico and Bean soup recipe for lunches next week, and I found BuckyTom's Crockpot Pork Chop recipe.

And this morning I had JUST taken out some pork chops to thaw for tomorrow's dinner! Was in a quandry about what to do with them, and wa-la!

It's a beautiful thing, this DC! :)

Lee

Thanks for that idea SnackPack! I buy Chicken Chorizo sausages all the time. This will be an interesting new way to use them.

No problem! You'd think it'd be too spicy with the chorizo and jalapenos, but if you seed the peppers to tomato sauce and sweet sauteed onion really defer the heat! Enjoy....:)

Here's your recipe. This one gets raves from my family and friends so I entered it into a "Soup and Stew Cookoff." It won first place among 23 other contestants.
This comes with my usual disclaimer: If you change, substitute, delete or add any ingredient, it becomes YOUR recipe and you're on your own.

CHORIZO BEAN RAJAS SOUP Serves 4 - 6

1/2 lb. chorizo sausage sliced into 1/4 inch slices
2 Tablespoons olive oil

2 cups chopped seeded poblano chilies
1 lg. finely chopped jalapeno pepper, ribs and seeds removed for less heat

2 cups chopped white onion
1 cup diced red bell pepper (1/2 in. dice)
4 garlic cloves finely minced
3 cans chicken broth or 6 cups homemade
2 cans navy or northern beans drained
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 Tablespoons ground Cumin
1/4 tsp. salt (if using canned broth rethink the salt)

1 cup shredded queso chihuahua cheese or Monterery Pepper Jack cheese
4 to 6 Tablespoons sour cream
4 to 6 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Saute chorizo sausage in a skillet just til lightly browned. Drain on paper towels and set aside.

Heat a Dutch oven with 2 tbsp. olive oil. Add onion, chilis, bell pepper and garlic. Saute 5 minutes on med/low heat then add chicken broth. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add chorizo back into the Dutch oven and simmer another 5 minutes.

Remove from heat, add beans, lime juice and cumin. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes.

Ladle soup into bowls topping each serving with sour cream, Monterey cheese and chopped cilantro.

For a vegetarian version, this soup is just as good without the chorizo sausage.

MMmmm I made this today! Lovely!

It made 7 servings for lunches (I froze some). I grated the queso cheese to take to work with my soups and will add it after I nuke my soup.

Lee

making the most of ingredients

If you have pablanos, you have a vegetable and if you have chorizo, you have sausage. Think outside the tex-mex box and create a dish that will have the flavor, but can be worked differently.
Ex.; My grandmother used to make a sausage and potato ragou. It was a very mild Pennsylvania Dutch dish. But, boy could you kick her recipe (or any recipe that takes a sausage and a vegetable) up a notch, by taking a typical german dish and substituting these more flavorful items. Nobody does sausage like the germans, about time we spice them up a bit. :chef::doh:

Last edited:
MMmmm I made this today! Lovely!

It made 7 servings for lunches (I froze some). I grated the queso cheese to take to work with my soups and will add it after I nuke my soup.

Lee

Looks good enough to eat. But you changed the Monterey Pepper Jack cheese and that will make a difference. The MPJ cheese adds a terrific flavor and added punch because of the peppers in the cheese. But the chopped cilantro is what really sets the soup on end. If you like it your way, then go for it.

No reason why you can't have it. It's a very simple soup to make but don't forget the correction I made. Forgot to add 1/2 cup heavy cream mixed with 2 Tbsp. sour cream after the soup is made. Heat through. Serve.
The picture does look terrific, doesn't it?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom