Potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmm....I'll have to look at that next time I'm at Albertsons. :huh: Seems to me the last time I bought a few Yukons, they were labeled as Yukons. I could very well be mistaken, though. :ermm: LOL

Well that's a bummer. I looked up whether or not "yellow potatoes" were the same thing as Yukon Gold and it said that Yukon's are a 'type' of yellow potato, but not necessarily the same thing.

I assume it's a slightly different breed of yellow potato that can't use that name.

Most likely. I guess just because it's yellow, it doesn't mean it's Yukon.

:ermm:
No, it doesn't. That doesn't mean there's something wrong with it, though, so why the :ermm: ? ;)

Many people don't realize how many varieties of potatoes there are. Here's a list of just the yellow ones.
Screenshot_20190415-202736_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Good to know, GG. Thanks!

I like the reds for potato salads because they add a nice color and hold up well, golds for mashed because they are so creamy and buttery, and russets for big loaded up baked potatoes. I guess I should expand my potatoes, now that summer is coming up! There are some pretty purples out there too, for salads. :)

Personal tastes are funny thing. That is why you can never argue about personal preferences.I hate red potato, babies or not. ;)

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that before :LOL:

I like making a big pot of fresh green beans with onions and baby reds. So yummy.

Now, honestly, how could anyone forget the butter and S&P??? That would be tragic! :wacko:

I've used half & half on occasion, but I always use milk regardless. Some of those packaged flavored mashed potatoes call for using water and that just baffles me. I know there's milk already in the mix, but using water to make mashed potatoes is completely alien to me.

Pirate does not like salt added to his food when cooking. He has never been a salt user. Makes cooking for him very difficult at times.

Pirate does not like salt added to his food when cooking. He has never been a salt user. Makes cooking for him very difficult at times.

I use salt simply as a seasoning when I'm cooking to bring out the flavors. So that would drive me mad, not being able to salt anything. I don't use a LOT of salt, but I use it for which it was intended... to season and bring flavors out of foods.

I use salt simply as a seasoning when I'm cooking to bring out the flavors. So that would drive me mad, not being able to salt anything. I don't use a LOT of salt, but I use it for which it was intended... to season and bring flavors out of foods.

Since it is too dangerous for me to be standing next to the stove on one leg, Pirate does all the cooking. But the one thing I INSIST he salt is the pasta. Salting it after it is cooked doesn't work. And I don't care if he has to make two separate pots of pasta.

Since it is too dangerous for me to be standing next to the stove on one leg, Pirate does all the cooking. But the one thing I INSIST he salt is the pasta. Salting it after it is cooked doesn't work. And I don't care if he has to make two separate pots of pasta.

I salt the pasta water before dropping the pasta in to cook. It really does make a difference.

One of my favorites is bacon, potatoes, and green beans.

Just fry up six slices of bacon, dice up the potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes, slice the green beans, then saute both in the bacon fat, for five minutes or so. Then add a little water to the frying pan, and cover it for ten to fifteen minute or until the potatoes are done. Uncover salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy.

Add gnoki, and potatoes anna to the list. You can use an apple core remover to remove a plug lengthwise thro russets, creating a tunnel. Stuff the tunnnel wi mushrooms, bacon, and creme fresh. Cut the plug in half, and stuff back into the potato on eiyher end, like a cork. Bake until cooked.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

One of my favorites is bacon, potatoes, and green beans.

Just fry up six slices of bacon, dice up the potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes, slice the green beans, then saute both in the bacon fat, for five minutes or so. Then add a little water to the frying pan, and cover it for ten to fifteen minute or until the potatoes are done. Uncover salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy.

Thanks Bama I'll do that tonight with a side of roasted chicken thighs.

I have everything I need, and it sounds delicious. Actually, I have some little fingerling potatoes to cut in half. They should look cute. :LOL: I guess food can be cute. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom