Something Sweet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monkey Griffin

Assistant Cook
I want to make something sweet and although enjoy cooking I am not really a baker but want to bake something. I have on had the basics, flour, sugar, butter, eggs, brown sugar, salt, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda. I also have granny smith apples, oranges. If I had oats on hand I would make an apple crisp but I don't. Any suggestions on what to make?

My kids use to love when I'd make a cream puff dough, then take a tiny ice cream scoop and drop the batter into a skillet with hot oil and brown them..I'd drop them into a bag or bowl of either cinnamon and sugar or powdered sugar for them, they would devour them with glasses of milk...Messy but oh so yummy, I'd have one or two myself drizzled with honey:)
kadesma

A Southwestern U.S. Treat!

SOPAPILLAS
  • 1-1/2 Cups all purpose flour
  • 2 tsp double-acting baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 2 Tbs shortening
  • 1/2 Cup warm water
  • Oil for deep frying
Sift flour, baking powder and salt together into a large bowl. Cut the shortening into the flour until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Add warm water and mix with the dough until it forms a ball.

On lightly floured surface, knead the dough for 5 minutes. Gather it into a ball, and cover with a kitchen towel. Let the dough rest for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a deep fryer or heavy saucepan to 400 degrees. Divide the dough in half and roll out each portion into an 8-inch circle. Cut each circle into four equal wedges. Fry the dough for 3 to 4 minutes, turning gently, until they puff up and turn golden brown. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Tradition dictates breaking one open, drizzling honey inside, and eating.

I don't care for apple crisp so I always make this recipe instead. It's about as easy as it gets and is delicious!

Apple Squares

1 C Flour

2 tsp Baking Powder
1 1/4 C Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
2 Eggs
3/4 C Chopped Nuts
3 Macintosh Apples, diced

Preheat the oven to 375º F.

Grease a 8”x8” pan.

Mix all the ingredients together and pour into the pan.

Bake for 35-40 minutes.

Cool and cut into squares.

Serve with vanilla ice cream.

I don't care for apple crisp so I always make this recipe instead. It's about as easy as it gets and is delicious!

Apple Squares

1 C Flour

2 tsp Baking Powder
1 1/4 C Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
2 Eggs
3/4 C Chopped Nuts
3 Macintosh Apples, diced

Preheat the oven to 375º F.

Grease a 8”x8” pan.

Mix all the ingredients together and pour into the pan.

Bake for 35-40 minutes.

Cool and cut into squares.

Serve with vanilla ice cream.

Andy,Do you use butter or oil in your apple squares?

" I also have granny smith apples, oranges. If I had oats on hand I would make an apple crisp but I don't "

I couldn't find the oats the last time I made apple crisp, so subbed Raisin Bran cereal. Tasted great!

How about a fruit cobbler using apple filling? You'll need cornstarch though to thicken filling, and some milk and a little lemon juice, you didn't list as having those. But if you do, that might be an idea.

I want to make something sweet and although enjoy cooking I am not really a baker but want to bake something. I have on had the basics, flour, sugar, butter, eggs, brown sugar, salt, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda. I also have granny smith apples, oranges. If I had oats on hand I would make an apple crisp but I don't. Any suggestions on what to make?

You could always just make some carmels...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom