Sriracha??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I better leave it out, there's already plenty of chance that the kids wont eat it, no need to give them another reason!
:)Use it as a condiment don't put in beans but put in your bowl of beans a few drops at a time until you know how much you like in your beans. That way everybody is happy.

No, it's not hotter than Tabasco - at least not to my taste buds. It's just, as you said, different.

In fact, I'm not a fan of Tabasco either. I find it to be virtually all heat & no taste.

While I do enjoy experimenting with different bottles of artisinal-type hot sauces, my mainstays for cooking are Frank's Louisiana Hot Sauce & Asian Chili-Garlic paste (which is really more of a very thick sauce than a paste).

I'm like you. I must have 20 bottles of hot sauce in the fridge. I like my own red habernaro sauce the best. My homemade Inner Beuty is second. As an everyday sauce I prefer Crystal because it's more taste than heat. Also dig Jump Up and Kiss Me sauces.

Is Cholula the one with the little wooden cap? If so, that's one of my favorites as well. In fact, one of the local IHOP restaurants used to have it - along with Tabasco - on their tables at all times. Unfortunately, they're now back to just Tabasco, but that's better than nothing if one enjoys hot sauce on their breakfast eggs - lol!

Is Cholula the one with the little wooden cap? If so, that's one of my favorites as well. In fact, one of the local IHOP restaurants used to have it - along with Tabasco - on their tables at all times. Unfortunately, they're now back to just Tabasco, but that's better than nothing if one enjoys hot sauce on their breakfast eggs - lol!
:)Yep, thats the one not too hot but nice flavor. The first time I tried it I went thru 1/2 bottle on my tacos I made at home.

I don't like Cholula because it has some kind of starch added. Tastes muddy to me.

Really? I liked that one because it wasn't just hot - but I certainly understand the "muddy" aspect. I just haven't tried a bunch of hot sauces to have figured that out. I must get to one of those hot sauce shops!

Well I put a little in my serving of red beans and rice w/ sausage. A teeny bit.
It was very good! I'm very glad to have leftovers today!

heya guys, cholula is just one of the brands with a wooden cap. goya also makes a line of bottles like that, called their "salsita" hot sauces. i like their smokey ancho chili sauce. great for stuff that you might have added liquid smoke, like chilli.

and i've seen a few other brands at craft festivals with similar caps.

also, when it comes to sriracha sauce, make sure you're getting the real stuff from huy fong foods. it comes in a plastic squeeze bottle with a green cap, or sometimes in a similar jar, with the famous rooster stencilled on the bottle. Sriracha

this stuff:

i was in an asian market the other day and noticed that there were several brands of sriracha hot sauce. i haven't tried the others, but this is the crack of which we speak. :cool:

this thread inspired me to run out at 10 o'clock last night and grab a coupla slices, then topped them with raw onions and sriracha. it was so good that i squirted an extra shot right into my mouth. :pig:

i'm paying for that today...:huh::(

Thats the one!
So far so good, the rooster has done me no harm.

Frank's... good stuff!
Sriracha... I often just take a hit when I pass the fridge.
Tabasco... boring. Their chipotle isn't bad, though.

(I am also finding myself eating the little "Holland" or "cayenne"
peppers from the Asian market plain too. They make me hiccup.)

Really? I liked that one because it wasn't just hot - but I certainly understand the "muddy" aspect. I just haven't tried a bunch of hot sauces to have figured that out. I must get to one of those hot sauce shops!

These are Cholula's ingredients: Ingredients : Vinegar, Red Peppers, Piquin Peppers, Salt, Spices, Edible Food Stabilizer and 0.1% Sodium Benzoate

It's the edible food stabilizer. You hardly ever see that in hot sauces (or at least the ones I use). I think Cholula tastes "off."

These are Cholula's ingredients: Ingredients : Vinegar, Red Peppers, Piquin Peppers, Salt, Spices, Edible Food Stabilizer and 0.1% Sodium Benzoate

It's the edible food stabilizer. You hardly ever see that in hot sauces (or at least the ones I use). I think Cholula tastes "off."

It's like when I ask some of my friends how they can eat certain things because all I taste is preservatives. They have no idea what I'm talking about! I will pay attention and start my search for the perfect hot sauce with medium-type heat and lots of flavor!

Thanks for the hot sauce lesson jenny - hot sauce is not something I would at the ingredients for "hidden" things like food stabilizers. :LOL:

It's like when I ask some of my friends how they can eat certain things because all I taste is preservatives. They have no idea what I'm talking about! I will pay attention and start my search for the perfect hot sauce with medium-type heat and lots of flavor!

I totally understand.

Crystal fits the bill for me in that regard.

And Sriracha if I want a more assertive flavor.

There are restaurants that have tons of difft. kinds of sauce available for sampling. There is one in NYC that we go to a lot that has maybe 60 or 70 difft bottles out for you to try. One night we tried them all and found a few new favorites, including Iguana.

I use it on everything too.

Instead of Franks for chicken wings.

I once read a post that said "Sriracha: Condiment or Crack?" :LOL: It IS addictive.

ugh... we Buffalonians are hurt LOL :ROFLMAO: chicken wings aren't chicken wings without franks!
I am interested in finding Siracha it sounds good...but you can't replace the franks for chicken wings...
I don't use franks for everything...generally chillis and stuff like that...my eggs, homefries. But... chicken wings...mmmh...
LOL

(just having fun btw) :innocent:

Yup - "Huy Fong" aka "The Rooster", is my brand of choice for Asian hot sauces. I'm NEVER without a jar of their Chili paste &/or Chili-Garlic paste in my fridge to spice up a quicky ramen noodle lunch or a dinner stirfry. Have been buying it for, Lord, must be closing on 30 years now. Used to come in glass jars only; now they've switched to plastic. Also used to have to get it from specialty Asian markets - now nearly all our local supermarkets carry it.

And, in fact, it's their Sriracha sauce that is still residing - unopened - in my pantry.

And Tdi - I completely agree with you about Frank's Louisiana Hot Sauce. Basic "Buffalo Wings" wouldn't be "Buffalo Wings" without it!!!!!! I always have a bottle or two of that around.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom