Trying to impress a "steak and potatoes" girl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, with all the suggestions no one mentioned broiling the steak. I sounds like she is a simple meat and potatoes girl. For your first dinner, keep it simple. You don't need to over work this.

I would find either a couple of nice rib eyes, or a flat iron steaks. A jar of montreal steak seasoning from the spice isle in the store.

Sprinkle the meat lightly on both sides. Get the broiler hot, pop the steaks under the broiler for about 3 minutes each side.. check to see how done they are. If it's an electric oven, the meat needs to be pretty close to the heating element. Maybe not the top rack position, but well above half way. Gas stove, the broiler is the broiler....

For the potatoes, I would think about offering up a course salted baked potato(dampen the potato, roll in course sea salt) or give her the option of a baked sweet potato with brown sugar and butter..

Make a nice salad, various dressings, garlic bread and find a good desert.

Is she a steak and potatoes girl because she's a picky eater?

If so, serve her Chirashi. If she won't at least try it, she isn't worth dating.

Seriously though, if you don't want to spring for expensive strip/filet, then a skirt steak, marinated, is definitely the way to go. If you know how to properly prepare it, it can be an impressive piece of meat.

EDIT: If she only eats well-done steak, she isn't worth dating either.

Last edited:
Date went well :cool:. Served a simple pan-seared T-bone, green beans, and a twice baked potato that was recommended on this thread. Everything turned out great, except the pan sauce that I tried to make. I didn't know (until now) that you can't pan sear a steak that has been marinated, unless you wipe off the marinate first...I didn't wipe it off, and it burned real bad onto the pan. But besides that, everything else turned out perfect!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom