Turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin86

Senior Cook
This may not be the right spot for this but I roasted a turkey today. My mrs said it’s a bit too much (12ish lbs) but I know we’re home for the next 8 days off work for self quarantine. So now I need to use it up and I have some ideas but more never hurts. Be creative I’ve got time!

Turkey:
Pot pie
Hot sandwiches
Casserole
Soup with the last of the meat it made amazing broth!!!

Thanks guys

Turkey Chili
Barbecued Turkey Loaf
Turkey Tetrazzini
Barbecued Turkey Sandwiches
Turkey Croquettes
Turkey Mole
Turkey Taco's
Salads

and the list goes on. lol In other words, I have quite a few recipes calling for cooked turkey. Anything appeal to you, just let me know and I will post a recipe.

Turkey salad #1 - 1 cu shredded, cooked turkey, white or dark meat, or both
3 tbs. chopped onion
3 tbs. Miracle Whip salad dressing
3 tbs. thin;y sliced celery
2 tbs. sweet pickle relish
1/2 tsp. yellow mustard
Spread on bread for a turkey sandwich

Turkey Salad #2 - 1 cup fine dice turkey, white, dark meat, or both
3 tbs. Diced celery
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tbs dill weed
3 tbs minced onion
1 hard boiled egg, crushed
2 tbs. minced yellow sweet pepper
1/2 cup cold, cooked orzo pasta

Turkey Aspic
1 cup shredded turkey
2 cups turkey broth
1 packet Knox Unflavored Gelatin
Salt, and pepper to taste
2 tbs. tomato paste
1 stalk thin-sliced celery
Your favorite crackers
Bring broth to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the gelatin and stir to completely dissolve (about 2 minutes)/ add celery, and the remaining ingredients. Stir. Cook for 5 minutes more. Pour into a jello mold. Eat with crackers.

Turkey Hash
1 cup diced turkey
2 russet potatoes, fine dice
1/2 onion, fine dice
1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
1 carrot, peeled and fine dice
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbs. butter
Salt and Pepper to taste
Saute potato and carrot in butter for 5 minutes. Add garlic, celery and turkey. cover and cook over low heat for 7 more minutes. Season with S & P to taste.

Turkey Alfredo
3 tbs. butter
3 tbs. AP Flour
1/2 tsp.salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
2 cups Half 'n Half
1/4 pkg. Linguine Noodles
4 cups water
1 tbs. salt for the water
1/2 cup diced turkey
1/2 cup shredded Parmesano-Regiano cheese
1 tsp. white pepper
Cook pasta, drain, and set aside. In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. When it begins to bubble, add the flour, salt, and nutmeg. stir until a smooth sauce is formed (You've just made a Bechemel Sauce). Stir the cheese into the sauce and stir until it is completely melted in. Add the turkey to the sauce. Pour over the noodles and fold together.

Turkey Shepard's pie
I know, shepherds herded sheep, not turkeys. but hey, we're' winging it here (pun intended):LOL: Male the Bechemel Sauce as above, but replace the Half "n Ha;lf with turkey broth. ow You have made a Veloute Add the turkey, some baby sweet peas, and diced carrot. Place in a casserole dish and cover with massed potatoes. Pour melted butter evenly over the top. You can sprinkle on some shredded colby-jack cheese if you want, but this is optional.
Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.

My favorite - Turkey and dressing sandwich on 12 grain bread
Turkey slices to cover one piece of bread
Miracle Whip Salad dressing
Sage bread dressing (stuffing) to cover one slice of bread
two leaves ice burgh lettuce to cover 1 slice of bread.
Toast 2 slices of your best bread. Slather on Miracle Whip over one slice. Lay on the turkey slices, then the dressing, then the lettuce. Put the other piece of toasted bread on top and enjoy.

That's all for now.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

A couple of ideas for lunches::
- quiche with turkey, roasted red peppers and Havarti, or other mild white cheese
- turkey and apple club sandwiches, on cinnamon bread, with sliced provolone or Havarti, mayo, lettuce and Roma tomatoes.

Turkey Greek Salad.

Diced turkey
baby tomatoes, halved
cuke slices
red onion
bell pepper
Kalamata olives
Lemon + red wine vinaigrette w garlic, oregano

we usually substitute blue cheese for feta, because we like blue cheese better and most likely have it on hand. Going farther afield, we may add diced avocado and sub celery instead of bell pepper.

Add or omit lettuce. It's tasty and flexible what and how much of anything you use.

Last edited:
Turkey is going down quickly enough never any reason for worry. We ate turkey lasagna today it was good. Now just most of a breast and a thigh left but I’m saving half the breast for my soup so we’re looking good and it’s been a delicious week.

One of my favorite things it to pick the bones, get a good mix of white and dark, then fry them in a pan with a couple TBSP of butter! I fry til it's good and crispy, too.

I just used 12 oz of frozen, diced turkey from Christmas, to make a sambar - not something traditional, but it turned out great. I still have 4 of those turkey packs in the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom