Usual bean dish needs something

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I've been pretty happy with (Michael's I think it was) green bean suggestion to me a while back, of cooking them with onions and bacon. I do it that way all the time. In EVOO. I've added mushrooms, too. Very tasty and quick. I'm looking for something a little more tonight. I want to do the green beans, bacon, onions, mushrooms, I've got a little Italian sausage thawing that I will cut into thin pieces..... I need a sauce. I don't want the usual olive oil/bacon drippings "goodness" :).
I want to add something to it to maybe thicken it up some, but not change the overall dish. So I'm thinking no tomato paste.
I've got on hand: beef broth, chicken broth, flour, that Masa stuff, chicken and mushroom cream soup, milk.... no wines (plenty of beer though :)). I've got some dry seasonings, shell and spagetti pasta..... Nothing fancy, the usual stuff, I just want something a little different with more of a sauce.

Any ideas? And I hope this was the right place to post this. It looked like it was :neutral:

edited to say: I got lottso eggs on hand, but don't want a scrambled dish, please (lol)

Last edited:
I love Bearnaise sauce on green beans and asparagus, especially when paired with a good beef dish.
My wife will cook up the bacon in an iron skillet till it is nice and crispy, then add in onion and garlic while chopping up the bacon. She cooks this until the pan is nice and glazed, then adds in basalmic vinegar to deglaze then adds in the green beans and cooks all on high heat quickly. They are always tasty that way and nice and bright green.
If I made a roast in the iron skillet I will add in some dry red wine to deglaze and then cook up the green beans in that.

make a simple veloute ... butter, flour, equal patrs, cook together for a minute or two, add broth, bring to boil it will thicken. keep whisking to avoid lumps, adjust salt and add your beans etc back into the pan.

I ended up adding some rice to it, then some pasta, then some cream of chicken soup, then some chicken broth, then some milk.... I think that's when I stopped adding stuff. It didn't come out too bad.... sort of like a stew with ingredients that didn't really belong together, which was kind of what I was looking for. I think it will be good on toast for lunch today.

I'll keep some of the sauces mentioned in mind when I plan a little better.
Thanks

Last edited:
I know its a bit late..but in our family with Italian sausage we would do the peppers and onions...
or for a different taste we would saute the pepper and onions with potatoes and then we would slice up the sausage and cook it all together. It was always quick and easy. And we would use hot sauce and ketchup and other condiments on the side.

Back
Top Bottom