What Can I Turn These Into?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tombo

Assistant Cook
Hey, things are really tight at the moment financially. Luckily I have just started a part time job as a waiter so I'm going to have some money coming in. I'm also looking for more work, I'm trying to get on a graduate scheme but I am applying for smaller jobs to to tide me over till I find one. I have become super thrifty as I have hardly any money.

Anyway, coming back on topic, these are the ingredients I have:

Carbs
Wholemeal Spaghetti [2 portions]
Wholemeal Rice [500g]
Bread Rolls x 6
Wholemeal Flour
Cornflour
Oats [2 handfuls]
Sugar

Veg, Fruit & Seeds
Red Onion x 3
White Onion x 1
Garlic [2 Bulbs]
Sultanas
Pumpkin Seeds

Sauces
wholegrain Mustard
Tomato Ketchup
Mayo
Tabasco Sauce
Lea & Perrins
Soy Sauce
Fish Sauce

Stock
Oxo Chicken Cubes
Knorr Veg Cubes

Herbs & Spices
Almond [Ground]
Basil
Bay LEaves
Cajun Seasoning
Cardamom Pods
Cinammon
Cumin
Curry Powder
Garlic Granules
Ginger [Ground]
Korma Paste
Mixed Herbs
Paprika
Sage
Thyme
Turmeric

Other
Gravy Granules
Honey
Jam
Colmans Season & Shake [various] - Just contains seasoning
White Sauce Mix

Any suggestions anybody?

Hey, things are really tight at the moment financially. Luckily I have just started a part time job as a waiter so I'm going to have some money coming in. I'm also looking for more work, I'm trying to get on a graduate scheme but I am applying for smaller jobs to to tide me over till I find one. I have become super thrifty as I have hardly any money.

Anyway, coming back on topic, these are the ingredients I have:

Carbs
Wholemeal Spaghetti [2 portions]
Wholemeal Rice [500g]
Bread Rolls x 6
Wholemeal Flour
Cornflour
Oats [2 handfuls]
Sugar

Veg, Fruit & Seeds
Red Onion x 3
White Onion x 1
Garlic [2 Bulbs]
Sultanas
Pumpkin Seeds

Sauces
wholegrain Mustard
Tomato Ketchup
Mayo
Tabasco Sauce
Lea & Perrins
Soy Sauce
Fish Sauce

Stock
Oxo Chicken Cubes
Knorr Veg Cubes

Herbs & Spices
Almond [Ground]
Basil
Bay LEaves
Cajun Seasoning
Cardamom Pods
Cinammon
Cumin
Curry Powder
Garlic Granules
Ginger [Ground]
Korma Paste
Mixed Herbs
Paprika
Sage
Thyme
Turmeric

Other
Gravy Granules
Honey
Jam
Colmans Season & Shake [various] - Just contains seasoning
White Sauce Mix

Any suggestions anybody?

For Spaghetti:
In a large pot, cook spaghetti al dente.
In a large skillet, saute 1/2 chopped onion and a few cloves of garlic in oil or butter. Add Oxo chicken cubes diluted in hot water, and heat. Add basil and/or mixed herbs, then toss in pasta, and mix well. Serve with grated cheese, if you have any on hand.

For Rice:
Saute garlic and/or onions as a base, optional. Cook rice in water or diluted chicken or vegetable cubes, and add a little powdered ginger to the liquid while cooking (plus garlic powder if not using the sauteed fresh garlic). Add soy sauce to taste.

*OR* add curry powder to the liquid while cooking the rice. Heat the Korma Paste, then mix into the rice.

Last edited:
I hope you can have a staff meal at work and use these items as a supplement!

I would cook the rice and use some of it for a fried rice dish and some of it for breakfast.

The white sauce mix or gravy granules and some of the other items would work for a pasta dinner.

Toast and jam!

Oatmeal with honey or sugar.

If you have a small amount of money for milk and eggs then I would suggest pancakes or cornbread.

Good luck!

In a large pot, cook spaghetti al dente.
In a large skillet, saute 1/2 chopped onion and a few cloves of garlic in oil or butter. Add Oxo chicken cubes diluted in hot water, and heat. Add basil and/or mixed herbs, then toss in pasta, and mix well. Serve with grated cheese, if you have any on hand.

Oooh, that sounds nice, I look forward to cooking it. Thank you for your help and I love your sig btw :)

Oooh, that sounds nice, I look forward to cooking it. Thank you for your help and I love your sig btw :)

You're welcome! I just added some suggestions on my original post for making the rice - see above.

Last edited:
You have a lot of items that are good additions to other dishes, but you're sorely lacking in proteins and veg. I would suggest you get yourself some canned tomatoes, dried beans, eggs, and some burger, if you can afford it. Then you can make a lot of meals with what you already have.

Back
Top Bottom