What in the world do you do with potatoes in a can?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My mom brought in some canned sliced potatoes and canned whole potatoes.

I've never known what to do with them. I've opened up a can and tried them, once, a few years ago. they just taste like watery potatoes to me.

Can they be made into anything tasty? or, are they useless?

Help DC.

No tinned food is ever useless - for one thing they keep for ages!

You can use them to make soups - I love potato and leek soup with a good splash of paprika just before serving.

Mash them up for a topping for a cottage or shepherd's pie.

Canned whole potatoes can be used as part of a roast dinner or just heated and served like boiled new potatoes drizzled with pesto.

Use sliced potatoes in a potato and lamb moussaka (use the potato slices instead of eggplant), or in a gratin.

Use sliced potatoes to cover a plate, top with drained tuna (springwater/brine - not oil), cover with taco sauce and cheese and cook till cheese is melted. Top with a very small dollop of sour cream (be careful can become very oily if not careful).

Hope those are some ideas to get you started.

Cut them up and dry them off and make home fries.

Put them into hamburg casserole dish with some cream of mushroom soup and onion...

Saute them is some butter and serve.

I make a quick stove top gratin with the sliced ones by draining the liquid, adding a bit of butter and cheese(Velveeta for it's creaminess and what ever other real cheese is around) and milk. My family loves it.

Dump them into your sauerkraut and ribs!
Use them in corned beef hash!
Pan fry them with onions!

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT put them in your pocket at the
dinner table, forget them, and have your mother find them
when she is doing laundry a few days later.
You WILL get grounded!
(Been there done that)

I kinda like the taste of canned taters, although I don't use them often.

I fry up some onions, maybe some peppers if I got 'em, toss in sliced canned potatoes.

Add some Worcestershire sauce and serve for breakfast with eggs.

Or can toss them into a frittata.

Yes, just use them as you would any waxy potato.

And opening the tin is a lot quicker than boiling a few spuds when you are in a hurry.

You can also put the whole potatoes in the crock pot with roast, or cook in with your green beans. The sliced ones make great cottage fries.

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT put them in your pocket at the
dinner table, forget them, and have your mother find them
when she is doing laundry a few days later.
You WILL get grounded!
(Been there done that)

:ermm: See, that's exactly what I was planning to do. ha, thanks for the heads up! :LOL:

Everyone, thanks for all the suggestions. they all sound good and make sense.

I think after that first time I tried them, I just marked them off as 'not-so good-wont-eat-again' lol. but, I will try some of these ideas.

I've never known what to do with them. I've opened up a can and tried them, once, a few years ago. they just taste like watery potatoes to me.

Help DC.

Fry them!!! you can pan fry the sliced potatoes with onion or make hash browns out of them.

The whole ones, deep fry and dust with garlic salt....

There are very few canned veggies I'll buy- corn, tomato products and beans are pretty much it. I find most canned veggies have a funky taste to them that is amplified in stews and soups. Before you add them, taste them first. Toss them before you ruin a dish.

Help DC.
imho, before you can do anything with them, you need to rinse the tinny taste off. then dry them very well. Add a lot of flavors (pesto is a great idea!) or good salt and freshly ground pepper... sage is a nice complement... before you cook them however you plan.

I used 2 cans of sliced potatoes, I fried them in a little vege oil. with onions, garlic, some diced ham, cayenne and salt and pepper.

My mother had a serving, she said it was very good.

I left the kitchen to look at something on tv and when I went back my niece had finished it all off! I didn't even get a chance to try it myself.

So, I'm going to assume that potatoes in a can do have the potential to be delicious.

I like to use let in potato salad. It a quick way to make it just rise them off and dry them and add to the bowl and mix up with the rest of the potato salad recipe. I also like to use the whole ones to deep fry them. Make sure they are dry before you put them in the oil and just fry them until they are brown; put s&p on them with a little butter.

Back
Top Bottom