What to do with ground beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Browned ground beef, cooked chopped onion, 1 can of stewed tomatoes 1 pkg. taco seasoning mix = taco meat mixture.

Use for tacos, chili, or mix 50/50 with rice for Taco Rice. Especially Wild Rice.

My first impression is, gee, can't imagine not having experience with ground meat. My very first cooking lessons were with the affordable commodity; chili, spaghetti sauce, etc.

My father dislikes rice for some reason and the only way he'd eat it in olden days was in stuffed peppers and stuffed cabbage leaves. Both have already been done.

There are a gadzillion recipes out there for meatloaf, and for most you can substituted cooked, leftover rice for the bread.

My favorite ground beef "recipe", though, is something I haven't done in years, and don't really know why.

Use your basic meatloaf or meat ball recipe, make all your spices Italian (oregano, garlic, basil, etc). These usually include a starch and an egg, but any starch will do.

Then press it into a thin layer on a baking sheet with sides.

Top tomato sauce of your choice and other pizza toppings.

Bake at 350 for ... well, it's been so long. I think about 45 min (remember, it is a cross between meatloaf and pizza).

This is a perfect meal for people who, for whatever reason, cannot eat pizza (people intolerant of gluten, or who need to reduce carbs).

This is a great party meal.

If I'm following you, Josh, we here by the Great Lakes call that goulash. Others call is American chop suey. Good stuff for sure!
I love it too. My mom used spaghetti and called it slumgullion. My first MIL used elbows, added canned corn and cheese, and called it More, because you always ask for more.

I love it too. My mom used spaghetti and called it slumgullion. My first MIL used elbows, added canned corn and cheese, and called it More, because you always ask for more.

I've had the Great Lakes goulash a million and one times, by a whole host of people, each with their own version. But by far, my favorite was the recipe made by my own Dad. Sadly, I never took the time to learn his recipe. And somehow, mine just isn't the same, though it's not bad at all.

If you have a favorite recipe made by a relative, learn it before it's too late. Not only will you enrich your recipe collection, but when your parents, or grandparents, or favorite aunt or uncle passes on to that chapter of life we call afterlife, you will have something to honor their memory with. I make recipes that my parents and grandparents made, just for such a purpose, besides the fact that they were pretty great cooks.:)

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

If you have a favorite recipe made by a relative, learn it before it's too late. Not only will you enrich your recipe collection, but when your parents, or grandparents, or favorite aunt or uncle passes on to that chapter of life we call afterlife, you will have something to honor their memory with. I make recipes that my parents and grandparents made, just for such a purpose, besides the fact that they were pretty great cooks.:)

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Funny you should mention this. My dh's ex FIL made a recipe for candied baked beans that I have never seen before. Dh and his kids call them Wil##on Baked Beans after the last name of the family (his Ex's). Because of this and because I will never be allowed to make them as well as his kids think they should be made (In other words nothing I cook is as good as the ex's) I refuse to make them even though the recipe was handed down to Dh. Really it's a shame because they are very tasty. But in the long run they are just not good for us anyway, way too sugary. (Even funnier is the fact that I like the ex.) If only DH didn't have such excellent taste in wives!

What to do with ground beef and rice

I've tried this before and it came out great with leftover ground beef. mix cooked ground beef with cooked rice add a crushed tomato if you wish. season to tast with salt pepper and ground garlic.Take a green pepper or two slice of top at stem rinse pepper and cook in oven for about 30 min at 350 then stuff the pepper with the ingredients and return to oven for another 20-30 mins. with ten minutes to go add some shredded cheddar. MMMMgood stuff !

Cook the rice, brown the mean, add in the diced carrot, and celery. Mix in a pan with some beef stock and spices of your choosing. You could go spicy, rich, or whatever. I would personally add some mascarpone cheese, and wine, a little garlic, cook it down and enjoy.

Ignore that. I read your original post wrong. I thought you said that you had those items and wanted to know what to make.

For meatloaf I just mix ground beef, and ground turkey, sautéed onions, bread crumbs, 4 parts ketchup to 1 part BBQ sauce, eggs, and salt and pepper. Sometimes I use beef stock (but you will have to add breadcrumbs to bind in you use stock). I add the rest of the ketchup and BBQ mix over the top and bake.

Cook and season it all, bag it up in family size portions and later use it to make quick tacos, enchiladas, hamburger gravy, spaghetti, impossible taco pie, the list goes on and on.

We fried up a couple of pounds of ground beef with chopped onions. Spread it on a cookie sheet and froze it loose. All of it went into a couple of containers and got marked with "Ground beef" and the date and then frozen. That was so handy to have when I was ill and DH was dealing with the stress of a new job and deadline.

loco moco.. a kind of salisbury steak over rice with an over easy egg or two and brown gravy ..

Browned GB and chopped onion, rice, can of undiluted tomato soup, sauerkraut. Water or beef broth to thin it if desired. Simmer and serve. I love this stuff, DH was uncertain at first, now he likes it.

I usually make this recipe when I am short in time. I mix the ground beef with minced onion, chopped green pepper, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. I place the mix in a baking dish and spread it to make an even layer. Then I cut 2 potatoes into coarse slices and place them on the top. Add 1/2 cup of water and bake in the oven while covered for 30 min. then 5 min. uncovered. Easy recipe and could be served with rice.

when my kids were growing up. money was tight and i was working mom. they loved ground beef browned with a can of beef gravy over mashed potatoes. it would work with rice as well. they liked canned corn niblets on top. sounds disgusting but was cheap , fast and they loved it.

Homemade cheezburger mac helper (ground beef, elbow pasta, beef broth, shredded cheddar, cheddar cheese soup and spices) and steamed and buttered fresh baby spinach.

img_1001809_0_c9ae4e16f8867433698d0a712ce4c488.jpg

You can mix the ground beef with some water. Use your hands to break up the meat, it will separate. You can either drain off the water, or let it evaporate as you cook it.

On the subject of breaking up ground meat, I use two dinner forks. As the meat (and usually, for most recipes, chopped onion and garlic) browns, I periodically take the two forks and break up the chunks.

Back
Top Bottom