What to do with sun-dried tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whole milk

Senior Cook
I have one pound of sun dried tomatoes and the expiry date is slowly approaching. Any suggestions on what I can do with them? A tomatoe intensive dish, sauce, or something else?

If you ever make pasta with cream-based sauces, I love to add sun-dried tomatoes while the cream reduces... it really packs a delicious punch of flavor into what can easily be a very heavy and rich sauce.

I just like to eat them as is, send me some!!!! I think they go really well in pasta dishes. I have also seen some Iron Chef episodes where they made sun dried tomato sauce by blending it with other ingredients. May be worth a looksie!

I agree with freezing. Use a vacuum-seal bag if available. Then you can use at your leisure.

I dehydrate tomato slices all the time and munch on them like chips or I will occasionally grind them to a powder in the blender/food processor and add it to my spice shelf as a nice seasoning.

Stuff chicken breasts with SDT and feta.
Pasta tossed with SDT, fresh cherry tomatoes, smoked salmon and asparagus, in a creamy dressing.
Bake sliced potatoes with SDT and bacon, topped with grated cheese and a bit of cream.
Antipasto platter.
Grind them down in a mortar and pestle to make a SDT version of pesto.
Spread pureed SDT over toast (thinly) and top with cheese before grilling for an open sandwich.
Add cut up strips into a salsa.
Stuff olives with SDT strips
Add to your next batch of spaghetti or lasagne (again in strips)
Put strips into a crab sandwich
Beef involtini - proscuttio wrapped around thin beef steak stuffed with SDT and cheese, pan fried briefly before cooking in oven.
Add to a quiche
HTH

I would fry up some italian sausage, hot or mild.
Remove them from pan. Put some minced shallots in that pan, cook on low just til soft, add some white wine, simmer just alittle bit. While this was simmering, slice sausage into thin sliced rounds. Add tomatoes to wine to soften and warm, add cream, either heavy or whipping add a pinch of salt- to taste, and cook on medium just to thicken alittle. Boil some rigattoni in salted water and put sausage back into cream mix.
While all this is heating up, cut some small chunks of mozzerella cheese, preferribly fresh - it melts better - drain pasta - DO NOT RINSE - place in macaroni serving bowl, toss in cream mix, then mozzerella, sprinkle fresh finely chopped parsley over top, serve and smile!

Italian for a day! Enjoy!

You can make "Sicilian pesto". It holds well in the fridge for about 1 month:

10 dried tomatos
1 big garlic clove
1/2 tea spoon ground cayenne
6 big spoons olive oil
20 black olives (without bone)
2 big spoons chopped thym
1 big spoon chooped rosemary
You just put everything in the blender to get a coarse pesto.
You can the use it on pasta, or on toast bread with goat cheese (and in the oven to melt)

Or you can blend the dried tomatos with 1 onion, 1 garlic clove, 1 fresh tomato,20 black olives and a tin of anchovies. Add a pinch of vinegar and dried oregan. Spread on bread and roast...

The pesto sounds really good and so does the cream sauce for the pasta! I guess I'm going to have to freeze the rest of the tomatos.:rolleyes:

:) SDT make a great pesto but you need to soak them first. Another is soak them chop up and make bruschettta's. I also end up with a bunch of dried home grown tomatoes so this is a great thread for me.

:)Oh! They are good soaked then thrown on a homemade pizza. I also understand you can grind them to a powder and make a great tomato sauce.

If they are the dried kind rehydrate them (as many as you need) then add them to an alfredo sauce. If they are in oil then just slice in matchsticks and add to sauce.

I use them often for a chicken breast filling as well. As someone mentioned before, chop up the SDT and feta (i usually add some fresh spinach and garlic as well).

Also use them in bread.

Oh yeah Flukx - SDT bread is beautiful!! make it up also as a paste to spread on bread garlic bread style. It is so aromatic as it comes out of the oven!

a whole wheat SDT bread with a few tablespoons of pesto mixed into the dough. A loaf of this has never lasted more than 20 minutes out of the oven.

Ya know, I was thinking about my recipe on the last page and decided, rather than chopped parsley, why not fine chopped fresh basil?, but not too much as to overpower?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom