What to do with the green part of the leek?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sidefx

Assistant Cook
I made some leek soup recently, and I used up all the white part, but now I have the green part left over. The recipe says I should keep these as I may be able to use it in some other dish, but I have no idea what to do with them.

Does anyone have any recipes that use them or recommendations on what to do with them?

About the only thing I can think of is to save it to make a vegetable broth (along with other veggie scraps).

The upper green portion is generally too tough, except for my compost pile, but yes it would probably be usable in making a vegetable broth along with all the other veggies.

Before I knew how to use leeks I was making up a soup for myself. Not wanting to waste anything I used the dark green parts. I sliced them very thin (chiffonad sp?) and added them to the soup. I actually enjoyed them that way.

I fry the whole thing and make noodle salad. I assume you could use just greens. I do not have exact recipe, as it is more of a taste thing.

A half a package of thin spaghety ot angeil hair pasta.
1-2 leeks sautee till soft, they will get soft, do not burn.
Crushed garlic 2-3-4 cloves
Soy souce to taste, couple-three table spoons. Mix serve cold.

The outer, dark green leaves I throw away.
The inner, light green leaves are tender and tasty, and should be
used just like the white part!

I fry the whole thing and make noodle salad. I assume you could use just greens. I do not have exact recipe, as it is more of a taste thing.

A half a package of thin spaghety ot angeil hair pasta.
1-2 leeks sautee till soft, they will get soft, do not burn.
Crushed garlic 2-3-4 cloves
Soy souce to taste, couple-three table spoons. Mix serve cold.

This sounds interesting, I'll have to give it a try and also I'll try using the center green part for something.

P.S. I forgot to say that I slice the leek maybe 3/8 to half an inch. Whatever the propor term for that would be.

I love leeks and use them often. I always save the green stalk because it adds wonderful flavor to vegetable broth. You can also drop them into a pot of chicken broth for an interesting twist to onion. The green is way too tough to eat anyway.

The green is great in any dish that uses greens, soups, stir fry, chopped up in lasagne sauce...

As the onion crops did rather badly with the British weather last year we ended up getting load of leeks in our veg box delivery and had to be quite inventive.

You can, in theory use them in any dish as a replacement for onion, but you might want to reduce the cooking time a bit.

Leeks steamed/boiled on their own though tend to be slimy and a bit horrible.

You could probably salt and ferment them for some very weird sauerkraut if you were so inclined.

i use the green parts sliced into little 3mm-ish slivers raw in my salad all the time. in larger bits, yeah, they can be kind of tough, but in small pieces, that mellower-than-onion flavor is lovely.

my fave thing to do with leeks, though, involves the whole thing. clean them all up, trim the roots back (but leave the base attached to hold things together), slice once longways in half, paint the cut surface with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt, and toss on the grill. not too long, they cook up quickly. they'll be kind of limp, but the flavor is wonderful!

Wash well and slice/dice VERY, VERY finely.

Use as a base in soups: - 1 tablespoon per one small/medium onion.

The morale of the story is that one should use the green of the leek and can use the green of the leek- so long as it has been well washed. Use in a pot with water and other peelings to make a vegetable stock but, as you are using a member of the onion family (leek) to make a stock you will not need to use onion.

Hope this helps regarding the use of the green part of a leek!

Regards,
Archiduc

Yes, that's correct, and in fact, I prefer the light green parts over the white, but that's just a personal thing ;)

The outer, dark green leaves I throw away.
The inner, light green leaves are tender and tasty, and should be
used just like the white part!

Jacques Peppin always says to make a stock from them. I did that once when I made his "Garlic Leek Soup." He said you could freeze it. I did. I found it when cleaning out the freezer and never used it. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom