What would you do with these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

B'sgirl

Sous Chef
I've got 1/2 lb strawberries, 1/2 can pineapple, a small amount of galangal, 4 or 5 kaffir lime leaves, on their way out, zucchini, onion, sour cream, sour kraut, cheese, turkey pastrami on it's way out (and it needs to be cooked)--um, I think that's all I'm trying to use up before it goes bad.

I have never used galangal so that pat I don't know, but the fruit is a good start to a fruit salad. you could use the kaffir lime leaves to make a syrup for that. grill up the zucchini and onion and serve on the side with a deli sandwich that you make from the cheese, pastrami, and kraut.

The kraut will not go bad though. That stuff will last forever and then 10 years past that.

I've got 1/2 lb strawberries, 1/2 can pineapple, a small amount of galangal, 4 or 5 kaffir lime leaves, on their way out, zucchini, onion, sour cream, sour kraut, cheese, turkey pastrami on it's way out (and it needs to be cooked)--um, I think that's all I'm trying to use up before it goes bad.
I had to answer because I wanted you to know I really did read this, but I have no earthly clue. I mean you've got dessert items, dinner savory items, and spice items. None of them go together in my mind. Are you wanting dinner [a complete meal]from all of the above?

The strawberries and pineapple would be good in a jello salad. I used to have a recipe where you put half of the jello with the fruit in the bottom of the dish, let it chill a bit, and then spread sour cream on top. You then beat up the remaining jello with a mixer until it's frothy, and pour that over the top.

I'd fry up the pastrami, and make sandwiches out of it with sauerkraut and cheese. Then slice and season your zucchini, dip in flour/egg-milk/flour and fry up to go with your sandwiches.

I don't know what to tell you about the Thai ingredients...

I had to answer because I wanted you to know I really did read this, but I have no earthly clue. I mean you've got dessert items, dinner savory items, and spice items. None of them go together in my mind. Are you wanting dinner [a complete meal]from all of the above?

They don't have to be used in the same dish, I just want to use them up because they are on their way out. (I added sour kraut just because I have some and rarely use it--even if it's not going to go bad it would be nice to use it).

Put the kraut away for another day, then add some big grilled hot dogs to it and dig in:LOL: My mom was great for serving this up, you could smell it a block away. The rest the gang has given you some good ideas..go for it

kadesma;)

Never used the galangal before so I'm no help there.

As far as the pineapple, lime leaves, zucchini and onion.....I'm make kaboobs by adding some marinated meat (maybe you can whip up a marinade using the galangal in it). Serve the strawberries for dessert.

Make a pannini out of the turkey pastrami, cheese and sour kraut. Who knows you might discover a sandwich you love.

The galangal (Thai ginger) and kaffir lime leaves can be frozen for later use; there's a recent thread (was it yours?) asking how to use these. You can put them in a Thai soup or curry.

The galangal (Thai ginger) and kaffir lime leaves can be frozen for later use; there's a recent thread (was it yours?) asking how to use these. You can put them in a Thai soup or curry.

Awesome! I didn't know you can freeze them!

Thanks for the suggestions, here is what I've decided:

I went with the fruit salad idea and combined pineapple, strawberries, mandarin oranges, fruit cocktail, shredded coconut, marshmallows, and sour cream.

I will fry the zucchini with some green tomatoes and onions and serve that as a side.

I think I'll also fry up the pastrami with some eggs and fresh oregano, topped with cheese, and put them on the corn tortillas I forgot to mention in my list (they are going to go bad too).

I froze the galangal and kaffir leaves for later, and the sour kraut I'm not too worried about.

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom