Bread Recipe - Yeast question/sub

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elitecodex

Assistant Cook
Hey everyone - I just finished my first bread recipe today (practically mirrored Alton Brown's Very Basic Bread Recipe). It was a learning experience, but a good one :)

Now Im on to find another recipe I can try. I found this one that looks like a good second candidate. I cannot post the URL so I will just give the ingredient list:

* 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
* 2 cups warm water (110 degrees to 115 degrees)
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1 tablespoon salt
* 2 eggs, beaten
* 1/4 cup vegetable oil
* 6 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

My question is that I have instant yeast and the recipe calls for active dry yeast (two different types from what I know). Can the two be used interchangably? Is there any modification (as far as allowing the dough to rise or times to rise) that I need to be aware of when substituting yeast? I did a sponge with the first one, this one does not need that.

I know this is a very baking-centric question so forgive me if thats where I should have posted it :)

Thanks!

You can sub instant yeast for active dry easily. In fact, it makes the process simpler. Just add the instant yeast to your flour/dry ingredients and mix it in. When putting your liquids together, don't forget to include the water you would have used for proofing active dry yeast.

Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions.

Oh yeah, I meant to say, congratulations on your first bread success! Be careful, it can become an addictive hobby (but one that tastes great and makes the house smell wonderful!).

Last edited:
Yeah I was quit taken back by the smell that filled my house last night - surprisingly good as Im just used to the 'mega-mart' bread.

Thanks for the info Russellkhan - I will try it sometime this week.

Good morning? - Shoulden't the amount of yeats be reduced a bit for Instant as compared to Active Driy yeast?

I found a website that says the same thing (25% less). Is that accurate?
whatscookingamerica.net/Bread/yeastbreadtip.htm

Hoping someone can confirm :)

Last edited:
Sounds about right. Here's the explination. Active dry yeast and instant yeast are the same thing. The drying process for each product is different. when the yeast is dried, the yest cells on the outside die. 70% die in Active dry yeast and only 40% die in instant yest. That leaves instant yeast having about 30% more living cells. Your ratio is about right.

AC

I uaw 1 1/3 Tsp of Active dry yeast when 1 1/4 tsp of instant is called for and it works OK. I buy my yest by the pound, so I hav to measure.

AC

Ok, this may be getting a little off topic but if I use less yeast (25% as recommended) how will I know if I used too little yeast? Will it not rise as much? Take longer to rise? Taste any different?

If you use too much less then it will rise slower, or maybe not rise. If you use too much the bread will taste yeastey. some folks like the yeastie taste.

Write down how you changed the recipe and how it came out. Note temperature and humidity, if possible. They also affect rising. Yeast is a living thing. the rising is made by the gas bubbles that it goves off when it eats the flour and sugar. It reproduces like crazy.

the recipe says its for two loaf pans. Here is recipe
allrecipes.com/Recipe/Country-White-Bread/Detail.aspx

I will try it tonight see how it goes.

Well, it didn't go to bad last night. The bread came out ok, although a little sweet. I cut the recipe in half so I only made one loaf. I used a little over 5g of yeast and it appeared to work ok, and I only let it rise once (I substituted the first rise with a 10 min rest per the website I posted).

Now I just need to make it a few hundred more times to master it :)

Thanks to everyone for their input!

Back
Top Bottom