"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-26-2017, 07:44 PM   #1
Cook
 
milford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bedford, Oh
Posts: 89
Buttermilk Sub.

Its easier for me to mix lemon juice with whole milk to get buttermilk.
1) Can I use Lime Juice for same effect?
2) White Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar work?
3) Anything else that will work?

__________________


I didn't do it, and you can't prove it!
anonymous
milford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:58 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,768
1. yes
2. yes
3. don't know

Consider this as a substitute: Buttermilk Blend

It lasts for a very long time in the fridge and works great.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:08 AM   #3
Executive Chef
 
medtran49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,438
Buttermilk Blend is in the aisle with the canned and shelf stable milk, but, as Andy mentioned, goes in fridge after opening. Also, if you have dry ingredients (as in baking) mix the powder into your dry ingredients and add the extra water as instructed to your wet. Much easier than trying to dissolve the powder into the water first.
medtran49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:47 PM   #4
Cook
 
milford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bedford, Oh
Posts: 89
Update to Buttermilk Sub Question...

I know this is kind of late, but I have a question regarding the "Buttermilk Blend."

Is there enough acid in this? My hobby is making cornbread. Requires buttermilk. On some web sites, I have read that this "Blend" does not contain enough acid to get a reaction from Baking Soda. Any comments?

If I use the lemon juice with whole milk, and leave this in the fridge overnight in a glass jar, does anyone know if enough gas/pressure will form to explode the glass jar?

Thanks for any help.
__________________


I didn't do it, and you can't prove it!
anonymous
milford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:59 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by milford View Post
I know this is kind of late, but I have a question regarding the "Buttermilk Blend."

Is there enough acid in this? My hobby is making cornbread. Requires buttermilk. On some web sites, I have read that this "Blend" does not contain enough acid to get a reaction from Baking Soda. Any comments?

If I use the lemon juice with whole milk, and leave this in the fridge overnight in a glass jar, does anyone know if enough gas/pressure will form to explode the glass jar?

Thanks for any help.
I use it in my cornbread recipe all the time. The powder goes in with the dry ingredients and I add the water with the wet ingredients. I get perfect cornbread every time.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:59 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 16,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by milford View Post
I know this is kind of late, but I have a question regarding the "Buttermilk Blend."

Is there enough acid in this? My hobby is making cornbread. Requires buttermilk. On some web sites, I have read that this "Blend" does not contain enough acid to get a reaction from Baking Soda. Any comments?

If I use the lemon juice with whole milk, and leave this in the fridge overnight in a glass jar, does anyone know if enough gas/pressure will form to explode the glass jar?

Thanks for any help.
It's been my experience that there's no need to do an overnight process. When I'm out of buttermilk, I just put a tablespoon of lemon juice in a measuring cup and add enough milk to make 1 cup. Then I put it on my countertop and let it rest while I prepare the rest of my ingredients. By the time I need it, it's clotted enough to use.

Never had any experience with "blend" as you mentioned.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:46 PM   #7
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5
What are the ingredients for the blend?
everylastbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:12 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by everylastbite View Post
What are the ingredients for the blend?


SEE NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION

INGREDIENTS:

A cultured blend of sweet cream churned buttermilk, sweet dairy whey, and lactic acid.

CERTIFIED KOSHER

GLUTEN & NUT FREE
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:34 PM   #9
Executive Chef
 
medtran49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,438
I've never had a problem using it. In fact, I used it tonight in our dumplings and it worked just fine.
medtran49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:56 PM   #10
Master Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 5,307
I've used this for years now in
ANYTHING that calls for Buttermilk!
Buttermilk Blend
We don't drink buttermilk, so therefore
I don't have it on hand, nor do I
keep lemons readily available either.
This powdered buttermilk works great
in any recipe I've made that calls for
buttermilk, AND it keeps in the `fridge FOR EVER
(I just bought a new container and it's good until the end of 2021)!
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:59 PM   #11
Executive Chef
 
Just Cooking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 3,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
I've used this for years now in
ANYTHING that calls for Buttermilk!
Buttermilk Blend
We don't drink buttermilk, so therefore
I don't have it on hand, nor do I
keep lemons readily available either.
This powdered buttermilk works great
in any recipe I've made that calls for
buttermilk, AND it keeps in the `fridge FOR EVER
(I just bought a new container and it's good until the end of 2021)!

Thank you for posting this...
Years ago, I kept this or another brand on hand.. I'd forgotten all about it (along with many things as I've aged) and while the lemon/vinegar/milk thing works, I recall that this product was/is superior..

Ross
__________________
Disclaimer: My experiences may not be as someone else might think correct.. Life goes on..
Just Cooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:19 PM   #12
Master Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 5,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
Thank you for posting this...
Years ago, I kept this or another brand on hand.. I'd forgotten all about it (along with many things as I've aged) and while the lemon/vinegar/milk thing works, I recall that this product was/is superior..

Ross
I follow the recipe on their website for Buttermilk Waffles.
I mix up a batch, leave it sit on the counter for a while,
as the Waffle Iron heats, it puffs up real nice like,
and it's time for brunch

Click image for larger version

Name:	waffle brunch.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	27559
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:49 PM   #13
Executive Chef
 
medtran49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,438
My aunt gave me a recipe for waffles that is outstanding. You have to separate the eggs and whip the whites and fold them in. I found it just recently because DD asked for it and I have to type it up for her and will post it when I do. It's the best recipe I have found for waffles, bar true Leige waffles, I have ever had.
medtran49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:02 PM   #14
Master Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 5,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
My aunt gave me a recipe for waffles that is outstanding. You have to separate the eggs and whip the whites and fold them in. I found it just recently because DD asked for it and I have to type it up for her and will post it when I do. It's the best recipe I have found for waffles, bar true Leige waffles, I have ever had.
OH! Please do med, DH loves waffles.
I remember somewhere far in the recess of my brain,
making pancakes utilizing that technique...
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:16 PM   #15
Executive Chef
 
Just Cooking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 3,803
My BH&G 1978 edition called "Complete Step-By-Step Cook Book has the waffle recipe I've used since that time.. It calls for whipping the whites separately also..

I recall using an old fashioned yeast recipe, just to try something different and old.. That was a good recipe but, the BH&G remains my go to..

Ross
__________________
Disclaimer: My experiences may not be as someone else might think correct.. Life goes on..
Just Cooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
butter, buttermilk, milk

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.