Can Kefir Be A Sub For Buttermilk?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xavie

Assistant Cook
Hello all,
I’m new here so please forgive me if this question has been answered in the past already.

Is it possible to substitute kefir for buttermilk in a recipe?

I guess I’m mainly talking about baking recipes.
I love to drink kefir so always have some in the fridge but rarely buy buttermilk and when I do what doesn’t get used in a recipe gets wasted.....

While back I tried using kefir instead of buttermilk to make crème frache and after more then 24 hours ended up pouring it down the drain because “nothing” happened. So I figured I ask this time before I start changing stuff around in a recipe.

BTW I’ve only discovered this site few days ago but WOW already absolutely love it.
It’s very addictive to read. :)

Welcome to the site. We are very happy you joined us.

I am not sure about the Kefir. I am sure someone else will have an answer for you on that. Here is a way to make a buttermilk substitute when you need it though. It is very easy and quick and works perfectly.

Put a Tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup. Add enough milk to bring the liquid up to the one-cup line. Let this mixture stand for 5 minutes. After that you can use it however you would use buttermilk.

Looks like it might! In most recipes calling for buttermilk, the acidity of the buttermilk is important to react with the leavening agent. From what I could find online, the pH of kefir is pretty similar to that of buttermilk. I've never tried it myself, though!
I've used yogurt in place of buttermilk before, but thinned it down a little with milk to more closely match the thickness of buttermilk. You might keep that in mind too. Have fun experimenting!

Thank you very much for the answers.
I’ll definitely experiment with both the kefir and with making my own buttermilk as needed.
Also *blush* my apologies for originally posting it in a wrong section.

No need to apologize. This is a very large site with many different sections. It is easy to miss which area a thread is best suited.

When I first got here, I posted in the wrong section. I was beaten and left on the side of the road with a sign warning others of my crime.

Thank goodness the rules have changed!!

I used kefir instead of buttermilk to make crème frache and succeeded. But my trick is warming cream in a sauce pan and then adding kefir, after 12 hours it was very good. (1 table spoon kefir for 200 ml double cream)

Back
Top Bottom