Cool Whip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ambrosia Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

You put my curious button into play and made me wonder what Ambrosia contained pre Cool Whip. Here is Alton Brown's recipe, using whipped cream and pineapple. I've never made or eaten Ambrosia, so can't comment from personal experience.
Thank you jim. It is the same recipe EXCEPT for the omition of cool whip and the addition of nuts and cherries. BUT if I make it that way it wouldn't be my aunt's ambrosia and thus not the same memories. But I will try it some time.

What keeps the pineapple from breaking down the cream and turning it into a soupy mess by the next day?

Last edited:
Like I said, I have never come in contact with ambrosia. Maybe the Brown version is intended to be consumed immediately.

My mom makes a version where she just mixes the fruit, coconut and mini marshmallows with sour cream. The fruit seems to make it sweet enough. I like it this way.

My mom makes a version where she just mixes the fruit, coconut and mini marshmallows with sour cream. The fruit seems to make it sweet enough. I like it this way.
And the pineapple doesn't break down the sour cream?

msmofet said:
And the pineapple doesn't break down the sour cream?

My mom always made it the night before a holiday dinner and it was fine. It would usually be good for another day after that if there was any left. Maybe there is something about the sour cream that makes it hold up better than whipped cream.

I don't use Cool Whip where whipped cream can be used, but in some recipes real cream doesn't hold up the way Cool Whip does. May not be the real thing but in some things it works. I"m sure we all use worse substitutions in recipes either because of endurance or maybe for other reasons.

Back
Top Bottom