Cool Whip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nazkaz

Assistant Cook
S there anything I can use instead of cool whip for a dessert recipe

You can make whipped cream and use that. Is this to be used as a topping or as part of the recipe to mix in with other ingredients?

Oh ok thanks Jennyema for the information! I live in the UK and found a dessert recipe that had cool whip in! We don't get it in the UK!

I know it is horrible fake stuff, but I love it.

Yeah like Dave said, whipped cream will be your best substitute.

I haven't had cool whip in a while, but it far "outperforms" the stuff in the can. Especially on pumpkin pie. Just sayin'. Give me tub or give me death.

I use Cool Whip to disguise Sour cream when I make my Dad's favorite fruit salad...crazy, I know.

I've been in the States for almost 9 years. I'm an avid cook. I had a recipe that called for Cool Whip for 4th of July this year. Thus begins the adventure. I didn't even know what it was. After 9 years!

So I'm looking in the supermarket for it. I don't even know where to look for it. I'm getting mad because I NEED to FIND it. I can't find it.I call my husband, I can't reach him. I'm mad. I leave without it. Husband calls back when I'm in the car.I say "too bad, not going back for that artificial blah blah stuff". I'm mad by this time. More that I can't find it than anything.

DH buys it on they way home with a grin on his face.

I make my flag cake for 4th of July and truthfully it is nasty stuff. More plastic than food. LOL.but it looks good!

Anyway, this is it.
Ratbird

I've been in the States for almost 9 years. I'm an avid cook. I had a recipe that called for Cool Whip for 4th of July this year. Thus begins the adventure. I didn't even know what it was. After 9 years!

So I'm looking in the supermarket for it. I don't even know where to look for it. I'm getting mad because I NEED to FIND it. I can't find it.I call my husband, I can't reach him. I'm mad. I leave without it. Husband calls back when I'm in the car.I say "too bad, not going back for that artificial blah blah stuff". I'm mad by this time. More that I can't find it than anything.

DH buys it on they way home with a grin on his face.

I make my flag cake for 4th of July and truthfully it is nasty stuff. More plastic than food. LOL.but it looks good!

Anyway, this is it.
Ratbird

Try uploading the picture as an attachment.

I'm not sure exactly what Cool Whip tastes like, but I don't like it.

About the only way I will tolerate it is if it is mixed in a recipe so I can't taste it, or on pumpkin pie, not sure why I like it on pumpkin pie, but they just seem to work together.

Same goes for that "whipped" or fluffy grocery store icing, to me it tastes like cool whip, and the smell that comes off it when you remove the cover from the cake is just awful.

If you have an immersion blender and a cup of heavy cream, you can make real whipped cream in about 30 seconds. I can't think of any use where Cool Whip would improve the the taste of a dish over whipped cream

I ONLY use cool whip for ambrosia. Pineapple breaks down proteins so I CAN'T use real whipped cream. Needless to say I DON'T make ambrosia very often because I hate cool whip!! But I HAVE to have ambrosia at least once every 4 or 5 years when I am feeling down - it reminds me of happy family holiday dinners with loved ones that are gone now.

I ONLY use cool whip for ambrosia. Pineapple breaks down proteins so I CAN'T use real whipped cream. Needless to say I DON'T make ambrosia very often because I hate cool whip!! But I HAVE to have ambrosia at least once every 4 or 5 years when I am feeling down - it reminds me of happy family holiday dinners with loved ones that are gone now.
Ambrosia Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

You put my curious button into play and made me wonder what Ambrosia contained pre Cool Whip. Here is Alton Brown's recipe, using whipped cream and pineapple. I've never made or eaten Ambrosia, so can't comment from personal experience.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom