Evaporated milk and whipping cream?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
Does anyone know if I can sub whipping cream for evaporated milk in a recipe straight across? My daughter is making pumpkin pie and I need to know if I can sub something for the evaporated milk.

Light cream is the standard sub for evap milk. Whipping cream should work. The result will be richer. Can that be bad?

I don't think it could be bad.

What % is light cream? Is it 1/2 and 1/2 or coffee cream?

Heavy or whipping cream = 36%

Light Cream = 18%-20%

Half and Half = 12%

Milk = 4 %

So half heavy cream and half milk will = light cream

All percentages approximate.

Smooch! Thanks Andy! We use 1% milk so half whipping cream half milk would be almost exactly right I think. I might be a bit heavier with the cream though. ;)

Close enough for government work, Alix.

All this discussion to determine the right mix to approximate light cream. Let us know how the approximate light cream works as a sub for evap. milk.

You can sub, milk, cream or half and half for the evap milk. I have used regular milk and it came out just fine. My mom uses half and half or whipping cream in her standard recipe which I assume is the Libby's recipe.

My recipe is Mom's extra special pumpkin pie. Requested by family members all the time. Blech. I just cannot like it. Still...its a staple so Bugs is going to attempt it. I'll let you know what I tried and how it came out. Thanks for all the help guys.

Now I want pie. May have to make one this weekend. I love kitchen experiments. Let me know how yours turns out. :)

I agree with Alix--pumpkin pie is just something I don't like, I don't care how it is made. My DH makes it regularly. He uses milk and FRESH eggs. But, I'm not a sweets person. The only pie I like is peach cream and that does require 1/2 and 1/2, Made with heavy or whipping cream, it doesn't turn out right. My brain is trying to retrieve the amount of butter to add to milk to sub for cream, but I can't pull it out. I think it is 2 tsp or 2 T unsalted butter to 1 cup milk, but don't quote me on that. The grey matter is not cooperating...And the percentage of fat is different in Canada re: the label assigned than it is in the US. Or maybe the labeling is different--I had a hard time figuring out what was 1/2 and 1/2 for my peach cream pie recipe when I first moved to Canada--was it coffee cream, was it table cream, what was the Cdn version of 1/2 and 1/2?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom