Frosting sub - sweetened condensed milk vs. evap + sugar???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, I've done a ton of google searches and everything comes up nil.

I'm trying to make a Coconut-Pecan frosting that calls for 1 cup evaporated milk plus 1 cup sugar (plus everything else), but I only have sweetened condensed milk.

Does anyone know how much sugar I should reduce the recipe by if I use sweetened condensed milk instead? I can't find anything online!

Thanks!!!

I don't know that I'd add any sugar. My MILs recipe to make sweetened condensed milk calls for 3/4 cup and it's plenty thick and sweet.

Thanks guys!

I think I'll add like 1 tsp or so to start, and see how that tastes. I haven't tasted the cake yet, but it's a German Chocolate Cake that I made with 1/4 Scharfenberger DARK 99% chocolate + 3/4 Green & Black's 70% Chocolate, so I think the frosting can afford to be sweet.

I think you guys are probably right, but I guess I'll have to try to find out! Thanks!

check out the eagle brand website for frosting ideas ... maybe they have a German Chocolate version and you won't be guessing?

You were right!!!

check out the eagle brand website for frosting ideas ... maybe they have a German Chocolate version and you won't be guessing?

I checked eaglebrand.com and found a recipe calling for sweetened condensed milk! and you guys were right - no sugar added! thanks again!

off to frost... :chef:

Back
Top Bottom