Gluten Flour in Wholemeal bread....?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shani

Cook
Is there any way around using Gluten Flour in the bread machine for wholemeal? I am having a lot of trouble getting this item which is extremely frustrating.
So is there something else I can do?

*sits back and glares at the white bread she is forced to make*

Shani, take a look at the link below re gluten flour and its importance ( or not!) in your recipe. Is the recipe one that came with your breadmaker? If so, and you dont want to be bothered searching for an ingredient, go take a look here at discusscooking at the breadmaker recipes or search the Net for a different one.
Gluten is present in all wheat flours, and I would be interested in seeing the recipe you want to use.

Best of luck! :)

Bread flour or gluten flour?

Thanks Lynan, I have a breville breadmaker and I like to make 50/50 wholemeal bread, I love the taste of wholemeal and the kids like white so the half and half suits us all.
The recipe is just the ingredient list that goes into the breadmaker of course...
Water 300ml
Oil 2 tblspn
Salt 1 1/2 tsp
Sugar 2 tblspn
wholemeal flour 225g
white flour 225g
Gluten Flour 1 1/2 tblsp
bread improver 1 tsp
milk powder 2 tblsp
Yeast 1 1/2 tsp

There is every chance I can just make it without the gluten flour but I don't want to waste ingredients..

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f23/index2.html

Go look here Shani for recipes for wholemeal bread in your breadmaker. Please dont feel you have to make the recipes supplied with your Breville Breadmaker. All recipes you will find here can be used as is, or slightly adapted for your machine.
And...with 1 1/2 tbsps Gluten Flour mentioned in your recipe? Id just chuck in the same amount of regular white flour. Im sure the loaf would not be compromised!

Best of luck and let us know how it all turns out.

Lyn :)

It appears that what they are calling gluten flour may be vital wheat gluten. It is used to help the rise and texture of the bread. I bake lots and lots of bread and use it in a very few. when I do add it, it is in about the same proportion as called for in your recipe.
Here we can buy it in small boxes in the flour section of most supermarkets. You might even try a health food store, possibley.

Back
Top Bottom