Granulated sugar for caster sugar in caramel sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Granulated sugar is a coarser grain than castor sugar so it may not measure the same. Process granulated sugar in your blender or FP to make a finer grind like the castor sugar, then measure the recipe quantity.

Granulated sugar is a coarser grain than castor sugar so it may not measure the same. Process granulated sugar in your blender or FP to make a finer grind like the castor sugar, then measure the recipe quantity.

I don't have a blender and I doubt that I have an "FP", but I've found recipes that call for granulated (something I should have checked for before). One I have right now just says boiling water + sugar, so I figure I can throw in as many sesame seeds as I feel inclined.

FP = food processor.

You certainly an use granulated sugar as is since you are melting it to make caramel. Increase the measure by about 10%.

The sesame seed measure can vary. Obviously they are there to add flavor. A little more or less won't ruin the sauce.

Okay, thanks. I just made a test sauce, sans sesame seeds, and shortly after pouring it on the pancakes, it had cooled and hardened. Is it meant to be hardened? I would like my caramel sauce to retain the consistency of sauce.

If the recipe only calls for water and sugar and sesame seeds - it's just a simple syrup with sesame seeds - it is not a caramel sauce. If it got hard on cooling - you over cooked it (temp too high) - instead of a syrup you made candy. If your pot has a sugary mess left in it - fill it with hot water and simmer it until the sugar dissolves - you may have to repeat 2-3 times.

To make a caramel sauce - you need sugar and fat (milk, cream, and/or butter) cooked to the correct temperature as measured on a candy thermometer.

I get a feeling you were trying to "improvise" on the original recipe?

A recipe for caramel sauce calls for caster sugar, to be melted in water in a pan with sesame seeds. Can granulated sugar do the trick?

Hi Sean,

CARAMEL SAUCE

8 oz granulated sugar
10 fl oz water
25 gms/1 oz butter.

Place ALL the sugar and HALF the water in a pan.
Dissolve the sugar over a very low heat. DO NOT STIR THE PAN. Use a metal spoon and drag this across the base of the pan in straight lines as though marking out the frame for a game of tic-tac-toe or noughts and crosses.
When all the sugar has been dissolved bring up to the boil and boil without stirring

Hi Sean,

CARAMEL SAUCE

8 oz granulated sugar
10 fl oz water
25 gms/1 oz butter - cut into small pieces.

Place ALL the sugar and HALF the water in a pan.
Dissolve the sugar over a very low heat. DO NOT STIR THE PAN. Use a metal spoon and drag this across the base of the pan in straight lines as though marking out the frame for a game of tic-tac-toe or noughts and crosses.
When all the sugar has been dissolved bring up to the boil and boil without stirring
(Hit the wrong button)

When all the sugar has been dissolved, bring up to the boil and boil WITHOUT STIRRING until a rich golden brown. Remove the pan from the heat. Tilt the pan away from you and add the remaining water. Stir well and add the butter.

Option: Add toasted sesame seeds. Toast sesame seeds in a dry frying pan and shake whilst toasting to prevent burning.

Hope this helps,
Archiduc

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom