Kaffir lime leaves...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crono760

Cook
I don't have any, and the only place I know to get them is about 45 minutes away by car. Any ideas on what I can use? The recipe also calls for lime juice...

Also: I don't really know what a kaffir lime leaf is...I've just seen it at this one place :-p

Mike

I made a Thai curry last weekend that called for kaffir lime leaves - couldn't find any, so I just used lime juice. Maybe add a bit more juice. HTH.

YOu can also add some lime zest for a concentrated flavor---if you ever do buy kaffir lime leaves---freeze them and they will last a very long time whether fresh or dried. YOu might be able to order them on line if you don't want to spend over $3 dollars a gallon--that would cover shipping alone. I use them all the time as I like to cook Thai and I do prefer their flavor.

Completely agree with Expatgirl - use some lime zest (green part only - not the bitter white pith directly underneath the skin) to taste in place of the lime leaves. And they do freeze well so it pays to buy a bit more than you need when they're available.

I should have added that adding extra lime juice might not be a good idea, since the extra lime juice will add a lot more acidity to the dish. You're better off using a little lime zest - lime essence without the acidity.

Think of it as using a Bay leaf.

I like them for longer stewing methods. The fruits of the tree are almost useless, the leaves retain more of the "essence". Zest is a good sub, but the longer it is cooked the more bitter it gets, unlike a leaf. Quickly cooking with the zest is just releasing the essential oils in the skin, after that it can go down hill quickly.

I should have added that adding extra lime juice might not be a good idea, since the extra lime juice will add a lot more acidity to the dish. You're better off using a little lime zest - lime essence without the acidity.

I totally agree. Kaffir lime leaves have a unique taste that is not 100% limey -- just like lemongrass is not 100% lemony. Lemons and Limes are not great subs for those asian ingredients, but the zest is better than the juice.

And agree on freezing fresh lime leaves. I usually have a good stock on hand.

I defer to those with more Asian cooking experience than I have, and hope I can find some kaffir lime leaves soon ;) I'm going to try real hard to get hold of a lemongrass plant this spring.

I defer to those with more Asian cooking experience than I have, and hope I can find some kaffir lime leaves soon ;) I'm going to try real hard to get hold of a lemongrass plant this spring.

If you have a green thumb, I am told you can sprout a stalk of lemongrass now and then plant it in the spring.

you can sprout a lemongrass..look for one that seems to have most of the stem intact..if it has root, even better..
I let mine sit in glass of water near a sunny window till it sprouted..then planted it outside..
Kaffir lime leaves - I use leaves of my meyer lemon plant sometimes..or I think lime zest would work..

Like others have said, there are a ton of places online where you can buy all sorts of asian ingredients, from Indian to Thai. Most of them ship cheaply (that is, if you're in the UK or USA, unfortunately for me). I've even bought international ingredients of all kinds from eBay.

If you have a green thumb, I am told you can sprout a stalk of lemongrass now and then plant it in the spring.

I bought a couple of stalks of lemongrass yesterday to try and sprout them. I looked at *all* the samples in the bin :ermm: Most seemed fairly dried out, but I got a pair and have them in water. If they don't sprout in a couple of weeks, DH stopped by a local garden store yesterday, too, and they will have lemongrass plants in early April :)

I bought a couple of stalks of lemongrass yesterday to try and sprout them. I looked at *all* the samples in the bin :ermm: Most seemed fairly dried out, but I got a pair and have them in water. If they don't sprout in a couple of weeks, DH stopped by a local garden store yesterday, too, and they will have lemongrass plants in early April :)

I'll keep my fingers crossed!

I had two plants (that I bought as baby plants) last year and they threw off over 150 stalks, most of which is in my freezer.

I think I should have split them earlier or something becasue the stalks, though plentiful, are thin.

It's really easy to grow and likes lots of heat and water.

I'll keep my fingers crossed!

I had two plants (that I bought as baby plants) last year and they threw off over 150 stalks, most of which is in my freezer.

I think I should have split them earlier or something becasue the stalks, though plentiful, are thin.

It's really easy to grow and likes lots of heat and water.

Thanks :) The heat should be no problem here and luckily, our house came with a well already :cool:

I've successfully grown Lemon Grass in large pots outdoors in the summer here. The problem is when I bring them indoors for the winter. My cats are apparently afficionados of Asian ingredients. . . .

I started with one stalk of lemongrass that had a root just showing, put it in water, and then transplanted it to a pot for a few months. Then from there to the garden. Two years later I had a lemon grass mound over a yard wide. I wonder if Kaffir limes trees grow in the Houston area?

Back
Top Bottom