Lemon zest substitute? Baking emergency!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi there,

I found online that I can sub 1 tsp of lemon zest with 2 Tbsp of lemon juice, but I need 2 Tbsp of lemon zest for a cake. According to this, I would be adding ...ahem... 12 Tbsp of lemon juice, plus the 4 Tbsp of lemon juice it already calls for.

This is a g-f lemon cake recipe I've never tried before, so I'm not sure what to do. Surely I shouldn't add THAT much liquid... :huh:

It's sad, I have some lemons, but they're all too old to use.

But I do have some fresh limes and oranges.

My 19 mos old son will be eating this at a birthday party, so I don't want this to be too weird of a flavor.

Any suggestions???

If I don't add ANY lemon, and I increase the 2 tsp of vanilla to more, would that just make it a vanilla cake? I would be fine with that. Thanks!!!

I know this won't help you right now. But I keep dried lemon peel on hand for just these types of emergencies. I find the lemon peel in the spice section of my grocery store.

Thanks you...

since it's so late already & my partners stopping at the store, i'm just having him pick up the lemons. and per your great suggestion, some lemon peel to keep on hand too. thanks for the tip!

plus, i still have to finish a potato salad, so working on that til he's back. =)

ciao!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom