"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2020, 08:56 PM   #1
Certified/Certifiable

Need a substitute for beans

I love legumes, peas, beans, and lentils. However, except for green, and wax beans, I have to severely limit my bean intake.

Lately, I've been very hungry for pork and beans, or baked beans. The sauce flavor is easy. But replacing navy, Great Northern, or black beans is a challenge. Though hominy has a similar texture, the flavor isn't right. It also doesn't work for making re fried beans.

P.A.G. was looking for a substitute and though that faro might work. If anyone has any suggestions, please share.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:29 PM   #2
Certified/Certifiable

Still looking for a bean substitute. Anyone have ideas?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 07-06-2020, 08:12 AM   #3
Executive Chef

What is it about beans that is at issue? I think they may be high in potassium, and maybe you are watching that?

You hit one nail on the head, make the sauce as you like and then add the veggie to combine.

Cauliflower, It gets used for everything these days. Not riced, not mashed, Chopped. Add carrots. Or, make cauli pizza crust, ladle the bake beans sauce on instead of pizza sauce, and try it that way.

I would try Couscous and see how that works. Never had any, that I know of, so I don't know, even though it's centuries old.. It looks like it would take to a sauce well.

Good luck too.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:46 AM   #4
Executive Chef

What about gnocci? You could reduce their size to replicate the beans. Texture might be close and the sauce coating them would certainly help.

As Whiska asks... what part of the legume beans do you need to avoid?
Old 07-06-2020, 10:22 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Chief has mentioned chronic kidney disease before, so he needs to minimize potassium.

I think couscous or gnocchi are great ideas. They have that soft, starchy texture similar to beans.
Old 07-07-2020, 03:39 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

I like the idea of gnocchi! I didn't even think about that.

Like mentioned already farro and couscous could do it. I will add that I think you'd want pearl couscous though for the same texture/shape. I love doing a Mediterranean style pearl couscous that is baked in the oven.

For something similar to refried black or pinto beans, I think pureed veggies like cauliflower could work great! You could sautee cumin seed, onions, tomatoes, roasted garlic, cilantro stems, etc.. in a pan with some sort of fat (maybe pork or bacon fat!). Then add some blanched cauliflower heads and stems. You want them really soft so they puree easily. And then just go to town with an emulsion blender. Maybe even melt some cheese on top :)

Anywho. Just an idea!
Old 07-07-2020, 04:16 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

You guys are brilliant! I'm not a real fan of beans and I intend to use many of those ideas. TY

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:21 PM   #8
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

How about Quinoa? It has some potassium but if you mixed it with say rice or couscous you might have a magic combination. Has the added benefit of protein.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:16 PM   #9
Head Chef

I was thinking of barley, as far as grains go, since they have a texture they keep, and give the thickness to the liquid, but I looked it up, and there is quite a bit of K in it.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:24 AM   #10
Executive Chef

I imagine quinoa, farro, couscous are all too small to replicate the idea of eating a bean. In my imagination they just wouldn't make me think I was still eating baked beans. Still like my idea of the gnocc i, even though it would be a bit of a chore to cut them down to size, unless of course, you make your own.

Not sure they would work for 'refried' but might.

My one attempt to make gnocci - even the chickens would n't eat'em.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:53 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Speaking of gnocci, I've never liked the texture or flavor. They sit like rocks in my stomach, and i just don't like them. That's just me though.

Old 07-08-2020, 02:11 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Speaking of gnocci, I've never liked the texture or flavor. They sit like rocks in my stomach, and i just don't like them. That's just me though.
Have you ever had ricotta gnocchi? I understand they're lighter than the potato kind. I saw this video by Kenji López-Alt a few days ago and I want to try it.
https://youtu.be/-QXRJrf9Bys
Old 07-08-2020, 06:25 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

GG, thanks for that great video from Kenji. I think I've only had bad ricotta and now I even know how to make it. I will most definitely be trying this although I personally know if it took him only 20 minutes to get dinner ready, it will take me 60.

Old 07-08-2020, 06:58 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I thought I heard kids in the background a couple of times, maybe he's cooking from home. Fun. I don't think I could cook as fast as J Kenji accomplishes, but then, it's not a horse-race.

Speaking of gnocchi, maybe spaetzle (sp?) might be a reasonable substitute too. My grandma's recipe was quite heavy, so it might hold up well to a bake bean type dish. Gram's recipe is the same as found in a Joy of Cooking cookbook, unchanged over mult editions. German restaurant spaetzle I've had was lighter and tossed with buttered bread crumbs, so what's with my Gram and Irma Rombauer? But ok in soup and may take well to a sauce.

Anyway, tossing it out there for consideration.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:55 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
I thought I heard kids in the background a couple of times, maybe he's cooking from home. Fun. I don't think I could cook as fast as J Kenji accomplishes, but then, it's not a horse-race.

Speaking of gnocchi, maybe spaetzle (sp?) might be a reasonable substitute too. My grandma's recipe was quite heavy, so it might hold up well to a bake bean type dish. Gram's recipe is the same as found in a Joy of Cooking cookbook, unchanged over mult editions. German restaurant spaetzle I've had was lighter and tossed with buttered bread crumbs, so what's with my Gram and Irma Rombauer? But ok in soup and may take well to a sauce.

Oh goodie Wiska, I'm darn good at making spaetzle..here's a long thread from long ago...
https://www.discusscooking.com/forum...zle-91799.html

Old 07-09-2020, 07:01 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post

Yes, he is cooking from home. He has one daughter, Alicia, who is about three years old.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:39 AM   #17
Cook

Is the problem oxylates? If so, I have a friend like that and she has joined some groups to figure out what she can have. I can ask her if it's a FB group or what it is, if Chef Long wants me to.

Otherwise, thee are any manners of grains. I don't equate legumes and grains but if it works for Chef, why not. There is teff, amaranth, and spelt. Three are many other specialty grains too. I suggest either looking at Whole Foods or another large, health food type store, and buying there or on Amazon or even at discounters.

Good luck!
HeyItsSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:52 PM   #18
Certified/Certifiable

Yes, it's the minerals phosphorous and Potassium that my kidneys no longer process. Both of them are responsible,for many biologic functions in the body. Too much an cause heart problems, calcium loss from bones, poor muscle function. Potassium is easier for me to control, and root veggies that are naturally rich in potassium can usually be pre-soaked, or double boiled to remove excess k. All dried legumes are high in phosphorous. I take phosphorous binders to keep my K in balance.

This is the reason I am looking for a bean substitute. I use to love all kinds of bean dishes, savory, sweet, tangy, multi-bean salads, refried beans, chili with kidney beans, etc. I was even served a bean pie once, that I honestly thought was pumpkin pie, until I was told otherwise.

Don't allow yourself to become diabetic, and if you already are, take care of your blood sugars. Kidney failure, and dialysis are no fun. But I can still eat BBQ,Oh, and everyone, thanks for the ideas. I'll be trying them out in July.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Tags
beans, substitute