Out of Vegetable Oil. What can I use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrswoops

Assistant Cook
Making a boxed brownie mix. I'm out of vegetable oil. Can't substitute with apple sauce (out of that too). Can I use olive oil instead? How about butter? Any other suggestions .... other than going to the store?!

Thanks

i have read that if you sub with olive oil, it might taste olive oily. but i have subbed olive oil before and it tasted fine. maybe my tastebuds are less discerning.

You can use the olive oil (I've done it before),grapeseed oil, coconut oil, applesauce, or mashed banana. I'm not sure about the butter.....

I've substituted with olive oil before and it turned out fine for me as well.

I've hardly ever used vegetable oil actually. I use canola (aka rapeseed) oil & olive oil almost exclusively. whenever a recipe says veg oil I've just always used canola without thinking about it very much. maybe it's a canadian thing.

Olive oil is an excellent substitute for vegetable oil. In fact, you will find your brownies come out lighter with the olive oil.

Olive oil is vegetable oil. So are canola, peanut, corn, safflower, sunflower, walnut, etc. They are all types of vegetable oil. Anything made from a plant is vegetable oil.

Anything labeled "vegetable oil" is made from one or more of those, or another plant oil.

Making a boxed brownie mix. I'm out of vegetable oil. Can't substitute with apple sauce (out of that too). Can I use olive oil instead? How about butter? Any other suggestions .... other than going to the store?!

Thanks

I've run into the same predicament before, and used canola oil. Came out perfect.

Of the top of my head, I can't think of a cooking oil (oils are fats that are liquid at room temperature) that isn't a vegetable oil. Vegetable in this context means it comes from a plant.

Animal fats are solid at room temperature, they are not oils.

So the broadest answer is you can use any oil and the recipe will work. Stronger flavored oils will effect the taste of the finished product.

Melted butter should also work.

I've never subbed applesauce for fat but I know it can work in some situations.

Back
Top Bottom