Parsley Substitute

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Halloweenguy

Assistant Cook
Hi Folks:

Hopefully someone can help me out. I have a tremendous allergy to parsley. (I know, it's very odd) In any case, a lot of recipes that call for parsley to add flavor, I just do not add the parsley. I assume I am missing out on a taste that should be in these meals. Does anyone know of a substitute for parsley that may have the same taste or cause the same reaction in recipes. I have tried cilantro, but for people who can eat parsley they tell me the cilantro taste is to "soapy" or it is not the same as parsley.

Thanks to any and all who can provide info.

Halloweenguy

The only similarities between parsley and cilantro are the color. The flavors are nothing at all alike.

Someone may come along with a sub, but my suggestion would be to just leave it out without trying to sub anything. IMO, most recipes use it for visual appeal, not flavor. This is, of course, not always the case. I think you can usually just omit it though.

You might try using a bit of chopped Arugula...it has a nice peppery taste that might fill the bill.
Depending on your dish, you might substitute another fresh herb, such as basil or dill. The flavor will be different, but still tasty.

The only similarities between parsley and cilantro are the color. The flavors are nothing at all alike.

Someone may come along with a sub, but my suggestion would be to just leave it out without trying to sub anything. IMO, most recipes use it for visual appeal, not flavor. This is, of course, not always the case. I think you can usually just omit it though.

I agree. Cilantro and parsley taste NOTHING alike.

As for a substitute for parsley... well... there really isnt one.. but like GB said.. you don't really NEED a substitute either. Most often parsely is just for colour and a tiny hint of subtle, fresh, flavour. (unless it is a key player such as for toubelleh salad or something) Depending on the recipe you could use a bit of chopped chervil (closest to parsley that you can get, i think), angelica, dill, lovage, savory, basil, etc. Each has their own unique individual flavour though (unlike parsley, which is rather generic) and can change the flavours of the dish so I'd experiment w/ each (using a tiny bit at a time) until you are familiar with each flavour.

Last edited:
if its a light dish, leaves of celery would work. a pasta or sauce, try basil.
this is simply if you want a fresh herb to "fill" the very small void not using Parsley creates. Like others mentioned, its normally for visual appeal, so I'd go with leaves of a celery stalk.

Parsley has always confused me.

As a kid I knew it only as a garnish - toss a sprig or two on the plate and the green made it more attractive. I would eat it because I liked the flavor, but if it was ignored no one ever seemed to mind.

But then as I got older, and actually cared about cooking and eating, I learned that parsley could give a wonderful flavor to many dishes. Love a bit mixed in with mashed taters. And it is good in so many dishes.

Maybe the most 'in your taste buds' parsley dish is tabouleh, which to me is basically a parsley salad. (To me the bulger is there to give texture and dilute the parsley, but I have heard folks argue it is a bulger salad. But to me it is a parsley concoction.)

So, it seems to me, you have two uses of parsley, as simple garnish or as a flavoring agent.

As a garnish, there are many other options. You want a green sprig, thyme or rosemary at the edge of the plate will do just fine. Or chives, or, for other colors match stick beets, or carrots, there are so many options.

If you want to add flavor to the dish, I don't know of anything that tastes like parsley. But there are many other herbs. The dish will not taste exactly the same without parsley but what the heck? One herb I would think of substituting is sorrel. But I am biased, I like the stuff.

Would not worry about not being able to use parsley, there are a lot of other options out there.

Take care.

How about Chervil? Mild flavour, enhances what it's with. Tough to find fresh, though.

How about Chervil? Mild flavour, enhances what it's with. Tough to find fresh, though.

Chervil is a member of the parsley family - allergies could still be an issue.

I like the idea of using arugula/rocket. It will have a bright flavor while giving some zip!

for me, parsley is a major food ingredient. The kind I grow has a strong flavor and plays a significant role in some dishes. I make pesto by the quart, and use half basil and half parsley for the greens in that recipe.

For a sub, in a dish that needs the kick that parsley would provide, I would use celery leaves, or horseradish.

But many dishes do use parsley as a garnishment, and in those dishes it would not be missed.

for me, parsley is a major food ingredient. The kind I grow has a strong flavor and plays a significant role in some dishes. I make pesto by the quart, and use half basil and half parsley for the greens in that recipe.

For a sub, in a dish that needs the kick that parsley would provide, I would use celery leaves, or horseradish.

But many dishes do use parsley as a garnishment, and in those dishes it would not be missed.

I was surprised by the "parsley is only for color" remark earlier. I agree that parsley (fresh parsley, that is) plays a significant role in the taste of the finished product. It lends a great deal of flavor and finishes the dish with a bright, full intnesity. I use parsley in so many things and never am without it. As for substituting horseradish, those two flavors are worlds apart and depending on what the cook is making horseradish could destroy a dish. Try finishing spaghetti sauce with horseradish, or sprinkle some on potato salad. Disaster!!! I would just leave it out. Period.

As for substituting horseradish, those two flavors are worlds apart and depending on what the cook is making horseradish could destroy a dish. Try finishing spaghetti sauce with horseradish, or sprinkle some on potato salad. Disaster!!! I would just leave it out. Period.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I am making potato salad today, and for four pounds of potatoes, I use 2 Tablespoons of horseradish. Have you ever tried horseradish in potato salad? Also, it is quite common to add horseradish to mashed potatoes:) fot those of us who admire horseradish!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I am making potato salad today, and for four pounds of potatoes, I use 2 Tablespoons of horseradish. Have you ever tried horseradish in potato salad? Also, it is quite common to add horseradish to mashed potatoes:) fot those of us who admire horseradish!

:LOL::LOL::LOL: As soon as I hit the "submit" button I realized how stupid my remark was about putting horseradish in potato salad. I did make it that way once, using fresh horseradish mixed into mayo and it was soooo good. I wasn't thinking. And I almost always add horseradish to my mashed potatoes. But when I make potato salad the regular way, I always add chopped fresh Italian parsley for a terrific taste.

I'm in the camp of people who say just leave it out, do not try to substitute. Cilantro definitely is NOT a sub. If you are just looking for appearances, try chopping some chives to get a sprinkle of green. But as far as flavor goes, just don't bother to try to reproduce it with something else. I, too, grew up thinking some things were just for color, a little parsley or paprika for red or green. Then as a child I lived in Germany and was taught to EAT that parsley garnish after a meal to freshen your palate and breath. A whole new world. Then I bought real Hungarian paprika and learned the stuff actually has flavor, and I bought and ground whole nutmegs for my husband's eggnog, another spice that I learned had flavor (as opposed to what was available in those days in the grocery stores). Some things just do not have real substitutes, if you are allergic or don't like them, just skip them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom