Raw sugar vs plain sugar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

my_psychosis

Senior Cook
I'm making Bulgogi and the marinade needs 2 tbl sugar. I'm out. Can I use raw sugar and if so how much? Thanks.

For that small amount it should not make that much of a taste difference. The problem with raw sugar is that it has a flavor similar to Brown Sugar (aka Molasses). So you can use it in place of the white sugar, but in recipes with a delicate taste you may feel the difference.

Raw sugar is the residue left after sugarcane has been processed to remove molasses and refine the sugar crystals. Raw sugar contains molds and fibers which are considered nutrients, however, to be sold in the US raw sugar has been refined losing some of these properties.

Thanks all. I took the advice and used it at the same amount. It worked! My Bulgogi was wonderful. :) (and it was the first time I'd ever made it to)

mcnerd. Yes I can see what your saying about the brown sugar taste. Actually thats what worried me and why I asked. Thankfully it worked great. I didn't know that other info though, thanks. :)

Back
Top Bottom