Recipe calls for "exotic mushroom blend"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
I have a recipe for green beans with mushrooms and it calls for "3/4 pound exotic mushroom blend." I don't do a lot of cooking with mushrooms... what would I be looking for? At my store, they have regular looking mushrooms (both whole and sliced), portobello (both of those in packages) and then some other assorted mushrooms in bins that you put into bags yourself (I can't remember exactly what types, I think shitaake was one, maybe oyster was another).

Any ideas?

You can use any mix of mushrooms you like. Some varieties, like shiitake, chanterelle, or oyster, are considered more "exotic" (and more expensive) and have more flavor than plain old button mushrooms.

Don't spend a fortune, though. If I'm making something like what you describe - especially for a crowd - I would use half buttons and half more exotic types.

My store, which is not known for carrying a wide variety of anything, actually has packages of exotic mushroom blend. I've also seen it labeled as stir-fry blend. They are a mixture of dried mushrooms which need reconstituted. They are in the produce section.

My store, which is not known for carrying a wide variety of anything, actually has packages of exotic mushroom blend. I've also seen it labeled as stir-fry blend. They are a mixture of dried mushrooms which need reconstituted. They are in the produce section.
I get something like that at Costco. It's labelled, wild mushroom blend.

What steps would need to be taken before using them in the recipe, if they are dried?

What steps would need to be taken before using them in the recipe, if they are dried?

If they're going into a stew or braise where there is plenty of liquid and cooking time, just toss them into the pot. The liquid in the pot will rehydrate them. Depending on size, you may want to break them up into smaller pieces.

For other types of dishes, they should be rehydrated first. Boil some water and add the dry mushrooms. Cover and let them sit in the water for 20-30 minutes. Then remove them from the water an chop to size. The water also has lots of flavor from the mushrooms so you can use that too.

i like to keep packages of the dried wild mushroom blend on hand so that i'm never totally without mushrooms, ever. i don't actually cook with my dried mushrooms, very often, however-- not sure why that is. but, i always look forward to the delicious mushroom broth they provide. :)

Last edited:
i like to keep packages of the dried wild mushroom blend on hand so that i'm never totally without mushrooms, ever. i don't actually cook with my dried mushrooms, very often, however-- not sure why that is. but, i always look forward to the delicious mushroom broth they provide. :)
How do you store them? I keep all dried ones in the freezer stops those pesky little critters from running throught the shrooms.
kades

How do you store them? I keep all dried ones in the freezer stops those pesky little critters from running throught the shrooms.
kades

from time to time, i read about problems of 'critters' in dried mushrooms in the dc threads. while i have had critters spoiling canisters of my flour in the past, i've yet to encounter this problem with dried mushrooms. i keep the packages of dried mushrooms, and dried mushroom soups, in my all-purpose cabinet, with no ill effects. i have never used the freezer to store my mushrooms, but upon my first sighting of a 'critter', i will change my tune in a flash....:)

from time to time, i read about problems of 'critters' in dried mushrooms in the dc threads. while i have had critters spoiling canisters of my flour in the past, i've yet to encounter this problem with dried mushrooms. i keep the packages of dried mushrooms, and dried mushroom soups, in my all-purpose cabinet, with no ill effects. i have never used the freezer to store my mushrooms, but upon my first sighting of a 'critter', i will change my tune in a flash....:)
ditto

Back
Top Bottom