Roasted Asparagus-Pasta Toss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foodfiend

Senior Cook
Hi, since I have problems copying and pasting I'm going to type out the recipe and then ask the question.

Roasted Asparagus-Pasta Toss

Okay, here's the question. The recipe looked good and I'd like to try it out on my family, but I don't like deviating from a recipe I personally haven't tried out first. I'll go to tweak mode if it turned out good on the test run. I have a sister who is allergic to poultry items so I can't use the chicken broth in this recipe. I don't want to use water in place but will if I have to. Can I exchange the chicken broth with a vegetable broth? I'd try a seafood broth except I'm allergic to shellfish, so I'm leary of that. What would your suggestion(s) be for a broth substitute? Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure veggie broth would work. Taste would be slightly different but still good.

Thanks. Would I need to up some different spices in it to make up for the different taste, or let it go at that?

but I don't like deviating from a recipe I personally haven't tried out first.

amy - I think the OP wants to basically make the recipe in front of them versus changing it to something completely different.

Great ideas though.

amy - I think the OP wants to basically make the recipe in front of them versus changing it to something completely different.

Great ideas though.

The only change is substituting the broth for the dressing. Instead of:

While the penne and asparagus are cooking, combine the chicken broth, butter, lemon zest, and lemon juice in a small saucepan over medium heat. Heat, stirring occasionally, until the butter is melted.

Use the oil, garlic, herb, lemon juice dressing in place of a broth/butter mixture. It won't change it to something completely different, & will pair nicely w the asparagus, pine nuts & pasta. (The second link is to get an idea of the dressed pasta etc.) Broth can be a little bland. Just my opinion.

The only change is substituting the broth for the dressing.

Which changes the whole dynamics of the dish i.e., Italian to Greek :LOL: Nothing wrong with that. Don't take me wrong - it would be great! It's just not helping the OP with her question.

I didn't think we were allowed to say "toss" anymore :ermm:
Or is that only when referring to English salads :angel:

For a recipe like this - chicken broth is used because it is fairly "neutral" in flavor but has some "body" (mouth feel, umami, unctuousness) that vegetable broth would not normally have ... but since the broth is mixed with fat (butter), vegetable broth is your closest suitable substitution and should be fine, IMHO.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm one of those people who prefer to have a recipe to go by when I cook. I usually do it 'as written' the first time, and if I like the way it came out, then I'll start tweaking to my personal preference. A chef I would never make as I can't come up with a decent recipe off the top of my head. I really like watching the Food Network and PBS when the cooking shows are on, and am picking up a few techniques in how things are done. My family usually gets together once a year, and since my parents usually takes care of the main dish, my siblings and I take care of the sides and desert. Since my sister is allergic to poultry and milk I usually get in a quandary trying to substitute one of these items when it comes to a specific recipe. This recipe looks good, and I'll try it before doing it for real down home. The suggestions are much appreciated.

I usually dont mess with a recipe the first time either, but this one I did. Looked like it would be a little bland.....
I added 2 cloves minced garlic to to the asparagus 1/2 way thru cooking. I also cut up a red pepper and roasted it w/ the asparagus.
If I had some fresh basil I would've thrown some in at the end. I also sprinkled in a little parmesan at the end, added a little more on my plate. Still missing "something", maybe it was the basil, but it's worth playing with again!

Back
Top Bottom