Roma tomatoes for petite diced???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
The Romas at the store were few and far between and the ones they have looked pathetic. I bought petite diced canned. Will this work? I didn't know what else to do. I didn't realize lasagna was such a popular Christmas dish when I went to the store with my list. The tomatoes are for the sauce. The other ingredients are going to be fresh (basil and oregano) so the only thing not fresh would be the tomatoes. Will this work??

*<||:{>

All I can say, is that I use canned, diced tomatoes for my lasagna, and will continue to do so.

Hold Up!

First off, do you want some chunks of tomato in your sauce? Kinda rustic style? If so, use whole canned tomatoes and give them a rough chop. Use the liquid in the can along with some water, red wine or plain tomato sauce to give you more liquid. If you want a smoother sauce use crushed or diced tomatoes, and even smoother is just canned tomato sauce.

BTW - all of these will need to be cooked and need seasoning and herbs.

I don't know what size your recipe is but I even mix 1 can of crushed tomatoes with a can of whole tomatoes and a half a can of water and about a glass of red wine. Let that cook down a bit.

Fresh tomato sauce will require peeling and cooking or roasting the tomatoes, and pureeing for a sauce.

Need to see the recipe. I would drain the canned tomatoes, if you are adding them to the sauce & cook them down.

Need to see the recipe. I would drain the canned tomatoes, if you are adding them to the sauce & cook them down.
Recipe is in the Lasagna thread in the Pasta section but this is the sauce ingredients:

[FONT=&quot]Tomato Sauce: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[FONT=&quot]3 ounces extra-virgin olive oil [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 yellow onion, minced [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5 medium-sized garlic cloves, crushed [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6 cups skinned and diced Roma tomatoes [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil leaves [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano leaves [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Salt and freshly ground black pepper

[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil. Add onion and cook over medium to low heat until transparent. Add garlic and cook until almost brown. Then add tomatoes and cook for 1/2 hour over low to medium heat. Add the basil and oregano and continue to cook for another 1/2 hour. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper, cool and store in the refrigerator until ready to use. [/FONT]

I almost never drain canned tomatoes. Depending on the dish, I may or may not puree them. I reduce the liquid over relatively high heat until the desired consistency. I have learned not to add my spices until the tomatoes are reduced, although I add the garlic and onion part way through.

yes, tomatoes are canned at the peak of ripeness, and for cooked dishes are usually preferable to fresh out of season ones. and in season, i want to eat em fresh not cooked for hours. So I always used canned for a sauce. whole diced or crushed, your choice.

I wouldn't drain the tomatos either especially if you are using the no-precooked noodles. They need more liquid in the dish to cook during baking. As always be sure to let the lasagne rest for about 20-30 mins before serving to allow it to set up well. I do this when serving others but my family can't wait that long after it's out of the oven!

I wouldn't drain the tomatos either especially if you are using the no-precooked noodles. They need more liquid in the dish to cook during baking. As always be sure to let the lasagne rest for about 20-30 mins before serving to allow it to set up well. I do this when serving others but my family can't wait that long after it's out of the oven!
I'm definitely cooking the noodles. Slightly undercooked but cooked.

My fear is the recipe calls for fresh tomatoes and fresh don't have juice. I've never made red sauce for any pasta dish. The big problem is I've bought everything, I can't go back now.

Calli,
fresh will juice up as they cook, if you are worried about the juice, drain it set it aside and add it a little at a time if you feel your sauce is getting to thick..If you don't use it. freeze and add it to some soup...

kadesma

Calli,
fresh will juice up as they cook, if you are worried about the juice, drain it set it aside and add it a little at a time if you feel your sauce is getting to thick..If you don't use it. freeze and add it to some soup...

kadesma
Thank you!!! I guess the stress has gotten to me because I never thought of something that simple.

Thank you!!! I guess the stress has gotten to me because I never thought of something that simple.
You're not alone, I just had to send an unhappy DH out to buy my daughter another watch..He lost the one i picked up for her..The man has just gotten into everything since I was sick and I've got to sit on him now to keep him out of things...YEESH, oh well it's only HIS money this go round!!!
kadesma:)

Back
Top Bottom