Shake n Bake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
Hi, I'm at the Kraft website, I found dinner but I don't have Shake n Bake, and I don't believe I will drag 2 kids to the store to buy it. It's just the same as breadcrumbs right? The stuff is way to salty for my anyway.

It looks just like a seasoned crumbing mix to me. We don't have it over here. Just use a freezer bag, add your breadcrumbs and whatever seasonings you want, and any parmesan etc. Stick your meat in the bag, one piece at a time, shake and press crumbs onto meat. Repeat with extra pieces. Now if your meat is a bit damp, you can often get by without an eggwash before crumbing. If you have towelled the meat dry, you will need something like an eggwash for the crumbs to stick. Also likely if you add a lot into the seasoning mix.

I use Corn meal (fine) with a little plain flour (helps it bind).
then it`s all a question of what flave you want, you Will need a little salt, maybe some pepper?
onion and garlic powder and paprica with some parsley is also good.
you can use Chili powder too if you like.

although I`m not sure how you do yours, some recipes call for a light Oil coating (such as with potato wedges) others use Water (washed meat) and then toss them in the bowl or bag containing the mix.

I see no reason why Bread crumbs couldn`t be used if they`re fine and dry enough :)

I`m sure others here will have even better recipes than mine too!

Shake and Bake is a highly seasoned bread crumb mix. Make your own and cut down on the salt. You can use any herbs and spices or a special seasoning mix such as Emeril's Essence or any other.

squzie, a good shake-n-bake imitation recipe is to mix:

3/4 cup corn flake crumbs or cracker meal
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. each of onion powder, black pepper, and paprika
1/4 tsp. each of garlic powder, thyme, basil, oregano, and sage

if it's too bland for your liking, try adding 1/4 cup of grated parmesan.

finally, add salt to your taste. you won't need much salt if you add the cheese.

:chef:

aha yes! Cornflakes! Great idea, I have tried that ages ago and it Rocks!

good call BT ;)

Outta corn flakes. How 'bout rice krispies? I saw them as a chicken breading somewhere once.....

suz, i guess you could mash them a little into a crumb like consistency. then you'd have something resembling panko.

Sounds good! Out of Doritos too though. I like panko.
Thanks for the ideas guys, if i had to take these 2 monsters anywhere 1 more time this week I was going to drive off a cliff. Good thing there aren't many here in the land of never-ending flat!!!!

For some reason, the Doritos suggestion also made me think of crackers. If you have any kind of crackers at all, mash them to a crumb consistancy. I've done that with good results, and interesting flavors (I like Ritz for some things).

I use Italian seasoned bread crumbs with parmesan cheese added. Dip the chicken in milk and coat with mix then drizzle butter over everything. My family loves it and it is easy to do.

This is what the Chicken is made from:

ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], FOLIC ACID), WHEAT FLOUR, MALTODEXTRIN, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN AND COTTONSEED OIL, BLEACHED WHEAT FLOUR, SALT, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF PAPRIKA, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, SPICES, MUSTARD FLOUR, NATURAL FLAVOR, YEAST, DEXTROSE, CARAMEL COLOR, DRIED GARLIC, SUGAR, DRIED ONIONS.

So it's basically saesoned breadcrumbs then......
with a few extra chemicals tossed in for good measure.

There is a recipe for home made shake n bake at Allrecipes. I make it for my DH who loves that style of eating : ( Anyway, it tastes just like what I remember shake and bake tasting like but only better (not fake chemical taste).
Let me see if I can get a link here Homemade Shake and Bake Mixture - Allrecipes

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom