Substitute for cranberries in Europe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JTBorton

Assistant Cook
Hello, I am in Germany visiting my wife's family for the holidays. My German mother in law wants to have a good American turkey with cranberry fruit stuffing. I didn't find out until I arrived, so I have no cranberries available and there are none to be found in Europe, or at least not very easily. Can anyone think of a good substitute for cranberry? I thought of red currants, but I'm not sure plus they say those are not in season. Thanks!

Ah yes lingonberries, I think they call them "kronsberre" here. My mother in law says she knows them but they are not in season. We will look tomorrow. Any backup options? Thanks for all the help

How about tart cherries? If you can't find fresh, you can substitute frozen or canned or you can reconstitute dried cherries.

Last edited:
Ask your MIL what berries are native to her country and in season. As you know, cranberries are really TART when whole and fresh. But when dried what is left is the natural sugar that all berries have. Thus they become sweet. Is there a military base near where you are? If so, ask a military person if they can help you. Ocean Spray ships frozen and dried cranberries overseas to our military bases so our men in uniform can have a taste of home.

You could use raisins. But that is a last resort. Good luck. :angel:

okay by some strange streak of unusally good luck we found fresh cranberries. Thanks for all of the ideas, this is definately good information for the next cranberry crisis.

okay by some strange streak of unusally good luck we found fresh cranberries. Thanks for all of the ideas, this is definately good information for the next cranberry crisis.

So tell us. Where did yo find fresh cranberries in Germany? Inquiring minds want to know. :angel:

cranberries are making their way over here... fresh ones are rare, but I think every big supermarkt (Edeka, Rewe) has dried ones...

where did you find them?

I'm surprised that they have to "make their way" to Europe. Cranberries are native to Scandinavia, so I imagine they are native to Northern Germany. BTW, I used Google translate and they are called, "Preiselbeere", in German.

I live in Germany and it really is hard to locate fresh cranberries (It's quite easy finding dried ones here).

I just wanted to say that cranberries are NOT "Preiselbeeren". However, they are quite similar. Cranberries are larger and more sour. Google translate can not always be trusted...

I live in Germany and it really is hard to locate fresh cranberries (It's quite easy finding dried ones here).

I just wanted to say that cranberries are NOT "Preiselbeeren". However, they are quite similar. Cranberries are larger and more sour. Google translate can not always be trusted...
You are probably right that preiselbeeren are not cranberries. According to their scientific name, Vaccinium vitis-idaea, they are lingonberries.

Cranberries seem to be Moosbeeren in German.

Can you get frozen moosbeeren?

Last edited:
Hello, I am in Germany visiting my wife's family for the holidays. My German mother in law wants to have a good American turkey with cranberry fruit stuffing. I didn't find out until I arrived, so I have no cranberries available and there are none to be found in Europe, or at least not very easily. Can anyone think of a good substitute for cranberry? I thought of red currants, but I'm not sure plus they say those are not in season. Thanks!
Cranberries are available in Europe. Fresh ones are only available around Christmas but they are usually available year round inthe frozen food section and dried ones are available - usually in the in the baking aisle.

Lingonberries are related to cranberries so can, indeed, be used in place of them. They aren't quite as sharp as cranberries but if necessary you could add a little lemon juice.

Back
Top Bottom