Substitute for cremini mushrooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bgus

Assistant Cook
Hi all. I want to make a recipe for veggie burgers that is predominantly cremini mushrooms and cashews. I dislike mushrooms though and want to substitute for something else. Would zucchini be a good substitute or can you suggest anything else I might use in place of mushrooms?

Here's the ingredient list:

3/4 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed and picked over
2 1/2 teaspoons table salt
3/4 cup bulgur wheat
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 medium onions, chopped fine (2 cups)
1 large celery rib, chopped fine (about 1/2 cup)
1 small leek, white and light green parts only, chopped fine (about 1/2 cup)
2 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through garlic press (2 teaspoons)
1 pound cremini or white mushrooms, cleaned and sliced about 1/4 inch thick (about 6 1/2 cups)
1 cup raw unsalted cashews
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
Ground black pepper

Oh, I think you could just think about the texture of mushrooms once they're cooked, and select something you like that has that texture. Various other kinds of squash, maybe. More nuts, like walnuts, cooked for a while. Sweet peppers, but that kind of takes away from the meatish goal. (Although why there would be any effort to emulate meat, if you don't want to actually eat meat.)

Or just juggle some of the other ingredients and add some smaller portion of interesting things like sunchokes. Or some polenta, maybe crumbled and prefried.

I have substituted eggplant for mushrooms in spaghetti sauce. I have also substituted ground chick peas (obviously canned or cooked if using dry) for mushrooms in recipes.
What about some veggie protein or crumbled, firm tofu?

Re: suggestions

Many thanks for your replies - they have really helped with some ideas and I appreciate it!

I definitely would not use squash as a substitute for mushrooms. Squash have SO much natural water that I fear your mixture would turn to sloppy mush. While I realize that you don't like mushrooms, have you taken into account that with all the other ingredients in these burgers you're most likely to not even taste the mushrooms as an individual item?

Just one opinion, but if you don't like the flavor of mushrooms, then I would look for another recipe, since it seems that mushrooms are an integral part of this one. As one of the previous posters mentioned, the mushrooms are what gives it a "meaty" flavor.

On the other hand, my wife hates mushrooms, but with her it's a textural issue that has nothing to do with the flavor. In her case, I can add them to veggie burgers, provided I finely mince (not mush) them in the food processor first. She doesn't complain at all about them when used this way.

Make up the mixture minus the 'rooms. Make two small burgers, one with finely diced 'rooms and one without. Take a taste test. The recipe the way it stands, minus the 'rooms looks like you have enough in it so that the lack of the 'rooms won't be missed. More nuts will replace the nutrition that you lose lacking the meat or mushrooms. Mushrooms are pure protein ad a vital part of a vegetarian diet. :)

Just one opinion, but if you don't like the flavor of mushrooms, then I would look for another recipe, since it seems that mushrooms are an integral part of this one. As one of the previous posters mentioned, the mushrooms are what gives it a "meaty" flavor.

On the other hand, my wife hates mushrooms, but with her it's a textural issue that has nothing to do with the flavor. In her case, I can add them to veggie burgers, provided I finely mince (not mush) them in the food processor first. She doesn't complain at all about them when used this way.

I would agree. My DIL claims to hate mushrooms but it must be the texture thing because I've fooled her more than once if she can't see them.

While mushrooms contain some protein, they only have 2g of protein per cup and there are certainly better protein choices if you really hate the taste.

Mushrooms add two things to your recipe, texture, and umami. The mushrooms have a flavor that is similar to meat. That flavor is required in your veggie burger, but yes, there are substitutions. For instance, Textured vegetable protein, hydrated with water and soy sauce, and a bit of A1 Steak sauce will enhance you burger by giving it a meaty mouth feel from the TVP, and adding the meaty flavor of the soy, steak sauce combination.

Stay away from squash, and other watery veggies as they will become mushy in texture, and not add any of the meaty flavor you are looking for.

Think of what meat tastes like. Think of what mushrooms taste like. Think of how they feel in your mouth. You have to try and simulate both the texture and some of the flavor componants for your burger.

There is a cherry festival that is held in Traverse City Michigan every year, and features burgers made from cherries. I don't know how they do it, but they taste like burgers, not cherries. you may be able to do a google-search for the recipe.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

the recipe calls for a pound if relatively plainly flavoured mushrooms.
so it ain't about that.

how do you know you don't like mushrooms, bgus? have you tried many varieties in different dishes? is it a psycological thing? are you not a fungi to be with?

j/k.

i wpuld go with cws's suggestion to replace the texture of the mushrooms with eggplant (skinned), and add some minced shiitakes or even just the water from rehydrated shiitakes to add shroom flavour.
:chef:

quorn & a touch of umami paste.i've tried it a couple of times and,as a committed carnivore,i think it's ok.it's made from mycoprotein which is basically the mushroom family so works in with original recipe & is soy free

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom