"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2020, 02:11 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Substitute for porcini water

Hi - I have a recipe that asks for the water from reconstitutes porcini mushrooms. Im wondering if the water from reconstitutes shiitakes would work? The recipe is for a warm shrimp avocado salad with champagne vinegar. Thanks!

Maheensyed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:32 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking

I think it would work fine. Sounds delicious, by the way.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:01 PM   #3
Certified/Certifiable

Hello and welcome to DC. IMO, shiitakes don't have anywhere near the depth of flavor that Porcini mushrooms have. You can purchase dried, and sometimes fresh porcini, and mixes of wild. dried mushrooms in most grocery stores. The water used to reconstitute the dried mushrooms has a pronounced mushroom flavor, making it great for use in sauces, and soups. You can substitute other mushroom water. but you have to make sure that it is a strong mushroom flavor. Look for chanterelles, portabella, cremini, oyster, and any member of the bolete family. Shiitake, hen of the woods, puff balls, straw mushrooms, and yellow surfer mushrooms, though tasty. are mild in flavor. and won't give you the u,a,i flavor that your recipe is probably looking for.

If you are a mushroom hunter, the wild filed mushrooms found on lawns, on golf courses, and such, withe the pink gills on the bottom, are have amazing flavor, as do shaggy miens that are available in the fall. This time of year, look for morels.

You can purchase porcine mushroom powder on line, to be used a a seasoning for recipes. Here is an example - https://www.thespicehouse.com/produc...ushroom-powder I hope your recipe turns oput great. By the way, what are ypu making, if I might ask?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:53 AM   #4
Master Chef

The water from most reconstituted dried mushrooms should work just fine. BTW, are the mushrooms used in the dish as well?
Old 06-03-2020, 02:18 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I think shiitake water will sub fine.

Can you share the recipe with us? It’s intriguing...

Tags
substitute, water