Substitute for tofu?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I'm not supposed to eat soy or soy products. So what can I use as a substitute for tofu?

I know it depends on the recipe. Any ideas? All I can think of is what Danes call "egg cake". It's similar to an omelette (flour can be added), but you put it in a container to cool. It takes on the shape of the container. Then you can cut slices for various uses, e.g., to put on a sandwich.

Anything tofu-like I can make out of nuts or other beans?

In many dishes, tofu IS a substitute for other proteins such as beef, chicken or pork. And like you said, it depends on the dish as to what can be substituted for it. For something like egg-drop soup or wonton soup, just leaving it out is simple and it won't be missed since tofu has no flavor of its own. It depends upon sauces or broths to give it taste. And the texture is nothing to write home about...

If you were ask about a specific dish, it would be easier to give you an acceptable answer.

Soft tofu has a texture a lot like custard, so I think this "egg cake" of yours would be a good choice, tax.

Tofu is the coagulated curd of soy "milk." Soy bean is cooked, mashed, then squeezed of its milky liquid. I've never heard of it being done with any other sort of bean. And I have doubts that the same can be done to almond milk.

The curd of mammalian milk is cheese. For firm tofu, you might try substituting with a neutral tasting cheese. Indian paneer comes to mind.

This may sound strange but, I am beginning to think that boneless,skinless, chicken breast is the new Tofu for carnivores. They are pretty much tasteless until combined with other more flavorful things.

This may sound strange but, I am beginning to think that boneless,skinless, chicken breast is the new Tofu for carnivores. They are pretty much tasteless until combined with other more flavorful things.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL::ohmy:

Thank you, Aunt Bea! Finally someone said what I've been thinking. I just couldn't find the words to say it without insulting anybody.

When I see recipes that call for it, I just think, "rubber chicken", then think about what the dish would taste like with thigh and drumstick meat.:chef:

Chicken wouldnt work in this recipe unless it was ground and combined with a binder like chicken meatloaf.

Soft tofu has a texture a lot like custard, so I think this "egg cake" of yours would be a good choice, tax.

Tofu is the coagulated curd of soy "milk." Soy bean is cooked, mashed, then squeezed of its milky liquid. I've never heard of it being done with any other sort of bean. And I have doubts that the same can be done to almond milk.

The curd of mammalian milk is cheese. For firm tofu, you might try substituting with a neutral tasting cheese. Indian paneer comes to mind.

You're quite right about the cheese. I hadn't thought of it that way. Yes, paneer or cottage cheese would probably work in many recipes.

I don't see why you couldn't make curds and a "cheese" with almond milk. I'll have to do some experimenting. I know people make almond milk and cashew milk yoghurt.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL::ohmy:

Thank you, Aunt Bea! Finally someone said what I've been thinking. I just couldn't find the words to say it without insulting anybody.

When I see recipes that call for it, I just think, "rubber chicken", then think about what the dish would taste like with thigh and drumstick meat.:chef:

i never buy chicken breasts except for chicken divan. thighs are my choice. have a nice taste and are generally very moist. tofu is something i never buy either.

I only use chicken breast meat for sandwiches. I bake it in the oven, eat the crunchy skin, and make a sandwich with lots of mayo and warm slices of breast meat. Sometimes I add sliced Swiss and bacon. :pig:

The rest is either sliced for more sandwiches or turned into chicken salad.

i never buy chicken breasts except for chicken divan. thighs are my choice. have a nice taste and are generally very moist. tofu is something i never buy either.

I have never bought tofu. Every now and again I see an interesting recipe that has tofu and just skp it because of the tofu. That's why I couldn't give a specific recipe. I figured I could try some of those tasty sounding recipes by using a tofu-substitute.

I occasionally buy chicken breast because my DH only likes white meat. I usually make a recipe that calls for a whole cut up chicken, using breasts and legs. I almost always have some chicken legs in the freezer.

Aunt Bea has the answer!! That is exactly what I think of chicken breasts.

I sometimes buy a box of fried chicken pieces at Wal-Mart--and the dogs go crazy as soon as I come in the door. They know that I get the legs, thighs, and wings, and THEY get the breasts!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom