Tomato equivalent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LadyCook61: You indeed are a life saver.

Thank you for such a quick reply. I'm making the Pasta Fragoli posted on another thread and discovered I had no tomato sauce.

I need 1/2 cup of tomato sauce.

How much tomato paste plus water can I use to get the equivilant.

Thanks to anyone that can answer this.

Hi busyfingers,

IMHO, NONE.

Tomato paste plus water will give diluted tomato paste and not a sauce - just buy a can of tomato juice to get the same result of adding water to tomato paste!

Tomato Sauce

1 small onion, peeled and very finely diced
1 or 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 x can of tomatoes (425g approx)
1 bay leaf
100 - 125 mls white wine
1/2 teaspoon vegetable bouillon
seasonings - salt and pepper to add on final tasting

Optional extras:

Pinch of Herbes de Provenance
A few fresh basil leaves - for Italian dishes such as meatballs with spaghetti
A pinch of chilli flakes for linguine with crab or lobster or spaghetti with meatballs

Method
Heat the oil in a pan and add the onion and sauté or cook without colouring for 5 minutes.
Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
Raise the heat, add the wine and reduce until no liquid remains.
Add the tomatoes, bouillon and bay leaf. Reduce the heat, cover the pan and simmer VERY, VERY and in a covered pam, slowly for 30 minutes. If the mixture appears to stick add a little water.
Remove the bayleaf and process the mixture using a stick blender or liquidiser.

Taste and season and add additional ingredients to give an Italienne sauce (basil), chopped black olives to serve with chicken (Cacciatore) or to use to as the cooking medium for chicken pieces as in a casserole or add an anchovy filet or two to have a sauce on which one can oven cook a cod, marlin or salmon steak etc.

Tomato paste is added to sauces, such as Espagnole, for example, or tomato sauces etc., to intensify flavour, not reduced by adding water to give a sauce. Reducing the product by adding water is simply creating a hot tomato liquid and one which will be badly flavoured, IMHO! and not a sauce.

All the best,
Archiduc

1 (6 oz) can tomato paste plus 1 1/2 cans water equals 1 cup tomato sauce - season as desired.

There are varying amounts given for the substitution. Basically you can stir water into tomato paste until you have the sauce concsistency you're looking for. If it thickens too much while cooking, add water as needed

Sorry Ladycook,

Adding 1 1/2 cans of water to 1 (6 oz) can of tomato paste does not a tomato sauce make. All you do in this relationship between water and tomato paste is thin the tomato paste. You do not make a sauce and saying - season as desired, is of little help or culinary merit, IMHO!

Archiduc

When I make tomato sauce I buy crushed tomatoes in tomato puree. I do keep a couple of cans of tomato paste on hand. I rarely (make that almost never) by commercial sauce, and only use paste if I cannot get a sauce to thicken. I look on the can, too, and don't care for products that are too sweet. I like the tart edge that tomatoes have so avoid products that have sugar as a main ingredient.

since there is no single recipe for tomato sauce, one could certainly make a type of tomato sauce by thinning and seasoning paste. such as add some browned onion, and spices like oregano and basil.

it would be different than more common jarred tomato sauces, but it would be a tomato sauce nonetheless.

Archiduc - 1/2 cup of tomato sauce for use in a recipe is next to nothing. It's not like the OP plans to make a full recipe of sauce for pasta by diluting tomato paste with water.

Busyfingers - diluting tomato paste with water to your taste/consistency is absolutely fine.

Back
Top Bottom