Unsweetened baking chocolate substitute

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DMerry

Senior Cook
I'm looking for a substitute for unsweetened baking chocolate for when I want to make a chocolate mousse. One web site said to combine 1 tablespoon shortening with 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, then heat until the powder melts. That didn't work for me. The mousse was definitely not smooth. They don't sell unsweetened chocolate here where I live, but they do have the cocoa. Thanks.

Are you talking about the bars or the powder??? Perhaps you could post the recipe so we can see how you are making it... :):):)

If you have whisked the melted shortening and the cocoa together, it should be smooth. Cocoa can have lumps. I usually put the dry cocoa trough a sifter, then mix the shortening (or butter, or oil) together well. If that mixture is smooth before you add it to the rest of the recipe, it should be fine.

I'm talking about the unsweetened chocolate bars. I may need to change my process some. What I did was melt the shortening then added the cocoa powder and maybe I didn't stir it until it was really smooth, maybe I just stirred it until the powder was combined with the chocolate. Anyway, then I added milk and marshmallows and stirred that mixture until all the marshmallows were melted and the mixture was smooth. When the mixture had chilled enough, I folded in whipped cream. I'll have to try it again and make sure that the shortening/cocoa mixture is really smooth. Thanks.

I'm looking for a substitute for unsweetened baking chocolate for when I want to make a chocolate mousse. One web site said to combine 1 tablespoon shortening with 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, then heat until the powder melts. That didn't work for me. The mousse was definitely not smooth. They don't sell unsweetened chocolate here where I live, but they do have the cocoa. Thanks.

I would choose a good bittersweet chocolate. It will work just fine.

I agree with Chef June about substituting a bittersweet chocolate, but cut down the sugar a little. How much chocolate and how much sugar is in the recipe?

Back
Top Bottom