What to substitute

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PamC

Assistant Cook
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and to cooking in general.

I have a receipe that I want to try that calls for a 16oz can of tomatoes including the juice, trouble is my husband can't have tomatoes or the juice.

What can I substitute to ensure that I am using the proper amount of liquid?

Any suggestion will be appreciated,
Thanks
Pam

Yikes. Pam, what exactly are you trying to make? If you could give us a recipe or some idea of what you are cooking we would be better able to help you. As it stands right now, my only answer would be to pick a new dish. Can you post the recipe?

I think we will also need to know why he can't have those things. Is it a medical reason, an allergy, an interaction with medication, a dislike, or some other reason?

It's unclear as to what your husband can't have. Is it the juice, or the tomatoes that he can't have? If you can give us a reason he can't have juice and give us the recipe, we can help you further.

Thanks Everyone - told you I was new to this:)

First my husband can't stand the taste of tomatoes in any form except Pizza.

The Receipe is for Louisiana Beef Stew from The Church Supper Cookbook and I intended to cut it in half (which would probably lead me to a question of cooking time). Here it is:
3 Tblspns flour
1 Tspn salt
.5 tsps each celery salt, ginger
qtr tspn each garlic salt, pepper
3lbs beef chuck in 2" cubes
2 Tblspns cooking oil
1 can (16 ounces) tomatoes
3 med. onions, sliced
third cup red wine vinegar
half cup each molasses, water
6-8 carrots, cut on diagonal
half cup raisins
Combine flour, salt, celery salt, garlic salt, pepper and ginger; sprinkle over beef cubes.
Brown beef in hot oil. Remove to Dutch oven and add tomatoes(with juice), onions, vinegar, molasses and water. Bring to boil, cover and simmer about 2 hrs. Add carrots and raisins and simmer 30 mins longer or until carrots are tender. (serves 8-10).

Thanks everyone for your patience, your help is appreciated.
Pam

PamC said:
Thanks Everyone - told you I was new to this:)

First my husband can't stand the taste of tomatoes in any form except Pizza.

The Receipe is for Louisiana Beef Stew from The Church Supper Cookbook and I intended to cut it in half (which would probably lead me to a question of cooking time).

Oh wow, it’s a stew! Actually, since it’s just about the taste of the tomatoes, you could get away with using the tomatoes if you put them in a blender or food processor and run it until they are smooth (no chunks at all). Once the stew is done, you’ll never know that tomatoes are in it. They add color and some flavor, but you can’t tell that tomatoes are in there. My DW hates tomatoes (can’t stand the squishy texture) but loves tomato sauce (go figure). I make stew with pureed tomatoes all the time, and you can’t tell that tomatoes are an ingredient.

If you’re really worried about it, then substitute 2 cups of red wine instead (a Merlot would be good). I’ve used red wine before and it makes for a great and rich stew. You could also use two cups of beef broth, or beef consume, or just regular water. I’ve made plenty of stews without tomatoes and just water, and they were fine. Adjust your seasonings to taste, and you’re good to go.

Last edited:
The tomatoes give the stew it's base and contribute to the rich taste of the broth. I have been making beef stew for 40 years and with the taste of all the other ingredients that go into the broth, including beef stock, red wine and seasonings, I have never been able to pick out the "tomato flavor." Your hubby won't know the tomatoes are in the stew unless you tell him. I wouldn't make the stew at all if I couldn't use the tomatoes.

tomato comes in many forms...you could add 2 tbspn of tomato paste and 2 cups of beef broth...no chance of even seeing a seed that way. Mom used to fool my sister every time with that.

People who think they don't like certain things like them fine if they don't know it's there. Do what keltin said and puree them, add tomato sauce, or stock + tomato paste. He shouldn't taste any tomato.

I agree with those who suggested a dry red wine. This will supply the acidity that the tomatoes would, & while changing the recipe somewhat, certainly won't ruin it. In fact, as far as beef stew is concerned, I wouldn't be adverse to subbing red wine for tomatoes even tho it's not an issue here - lol!!!!

My son hates the squishy tomatoes too, but he will eat a ton of salsa, sauce or juice. I puree them in some stuff, your husband will more than likely never know.

Back
Top Bottom