What's a good substitute for Bacon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would think in this case where you want to wrap a chicken breast or a beef filet in bacon that there is no substitute. You will probably need to try a different recipe since turkey bacon is too lean and will not hold up to this kind of cooking very well. Maybe if you coated the turkey bacon with oil or better it might last a little longer but everytime I used turkey bacon it was very lean and could burn very easily. You could try wrapping the chicken breast with a flap of the chicken skin and put some butter and seasons under the skin as you wrap it.

My girlfriend’s mom is vegetarian and she eats vegetarian bacon for breakfast. I have not tried it yet and I have no idea how it will cook up if you use it but her mom loves it with eggs and toast and on BLTs.
http://www.lightlife.com/smokey.html

...And do you have an equally great answer??
I do... but it's... :shifty:...

... not what you'd expect...

And the answer is:

"Why buy pork, when you have a :pig: at home?"

I shouldn't talk... I eat more than my share of food from time to time...

I've tried turkey bacon, many brands, many times. It's turkey jerky with an abundance of smoke flavoring, and it kinda looks like that Beggin' Strips stuff they sell at PetSmart.

If you must avoid the cloven hoofed creature, then substitute Beef Bacon! I guarantee you'll feel a lot better wrapping a piece of beef bacon around your fillet mignon than you would a strip of pressed turkey.

I am a vegetarian and I enjoy morningstar farms brand of fake bacon. I have tried other brands but this one gets nice and crispy just like real bacon!

Betty_Crocker_Bacos_116g.jpg
:punk:

Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken

Prosciutto makes a good substitute for bacon when wrapping meats. Here is a picture of one of my recent dishes.
img_484058_0_8a6692b7bd6bf7a46fd408e674086f23.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Prosciutto makes a good substitute for bacon when wrapping meats. Here is a picture of one of my recent dishes. You can see more of my recipes at my forum:

Unfortunately, the source of prosciutto has cloven hooves and oinks.

Beggin' Strips.

I really have to try hard not to take a bite out of one of those when that bag opens up for the mutt.:ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom