Acacia wood salad set

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giginpeppep

Assistant Cook
Hello! Question about a wooden salad set from my grandmother. Here's the scoop: This wooden salad set looks similar to ones I've seen called Acacia and Calabash shape with a large serving bowl, eating bowls and a spoon & fork. My grandmother gave it to me roughly ten years ago and most of her stuff was from the sixties or seventies. My dear husband was trying to help clean the kitchen up after my long workday and he put this salad set in the dishwasher.:ohmy: Now it has blond spots (where the brown rinse water was sitting after the cycle finished) and it has a chemical-ly smell. Is it still safe to eat off of? Can the spots be sanded down? What can I use to remove the smell? Can this awesome heirloom set be saved? :( Any info you may have on this type of serveware would be helpful! Thanks in advance!

If it not warped, you should be able to save it. It it warped, your done. It is most probably safe to use. First thing I would try is to lightly sand and refinish with salad bowl finish, available at many woodworking stores. Also they usually know a local turner who will answer questions. Past that, a good antique restorer could probably tell you what you need. I have had some luck with the curator of the local museum. They are on your payroll and usually glad to help.

Solution!

OK, after trying mayo, fine grit sandpaper and researching, my mother-in-law had the solution that worked! We applied moist heat in the form of a damp, steaming bar mop. All the white marks are gone! :) I am SOOOO grateful! I'll apply regular :)rolleyes:) coatings of mineral oil :)rolleyes:) to keep them from drying out further. As it turns out, these pieces are even more sentimental than I originally thought: My uncle sent them to my grandmother many years ago while he was stationed overseas. Although he has since passed on many years ago, he's still alive in all our hearts. Thanks for keeping this forum going!

We applied moist heat in the form of a damp, steaming bar mop. All the white marks are gone!

Congratulations on saving them. I save my grandmothers antique end table from a horrible water ring stain using a steam iron and a towel. (same principle).

Back
Top Bottom