Antiques in the fridge....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think refrigerator antiques are a sign of an inspired cook - one who is more intent on 'creating' than over-eating. At least, that's my excuse.

My mother, and now my husband have said that I am a master at rationalization. But hey, if it makes you happier, what's the problem?

I have a meat drawer in my fridge, where I keep cheese and lunchmeat. In addition to a couple of VERY old hot dogs and some undistinguishable moldy stuff, I threw away my anchovy paste, which I've had for way over ten years.
Do you have any antiques in your refrigerator?

Ah, speaking of anchovies ... I had a couple of cans of anchovies in my cupboard for a looong time (the kind of tin with the peel-back opening).

I grabbed one to use it one day and vaguely noticed it felt a little "puffy" in my hand, but I needed to open it to check, anyway. Well, I grabbed the ring and pulled ... the opening exploded open and sprayed the most obnoxious smelling rancid fish oil all over the kitchen and all over my shirt. :ohmy: The kitchen I could clean, but the shirt was a write-off.

Anyway, I called out for pizza delivery that night, instead. And yes, I specifed NO ANCHOVIES!! :LOL:

My Mom's dear sweet English Auntie was very meticulous about everything. She wrote notes on how to use appliances, even how far to turn the hot and cold taps for the perfect temperature. When she broke her hip and had to be put in a care home, I helped my aunt and my mom clean the house up for sale.

I started on the fridge and went into a huge fit of laughter. The eggs were all dated in pencil right on the shells. Only trouble was, some of them were 10 years old (no lie). We very carefully set them into a small box, put that in a bag and tied it tight. We then gently set that into the larger garbage bag. We took no changes on having them break - ever smelled rotten eggs?

Ah, speaking of anchovies ... I had a couple of cans of anchovies in my cupboard for a looong time (the kind of tin with the peel-back opening).

I grabbed one to use it one day and vaguely noticed it felt a little "puffy" in my hand, but I needed to open it to check, anyway. Well, I grabbed the ring and pulled ... the opening exploded open and sprayed the most obnoxious smelling rancid fish oil all over the kitchen and all over my shirt. :ohmy: The kitchen I could clean, but the shirt was a write-off.

Anyway, I called out for pizza delivery that night, instead. And yes, I specifed NO ANCHOVIES!! :LOL:

:doh::sick::yuk: only a MAN would do this...:angel:

I think there was some song that had a line about going away and then coming home to find "everything in your fridge has turned into a science experiment"! Maybe Tom Waits?

My Mom's dear sweet English Auntie was very meticulous about everything. She wrote notes on how to use appliances, even how far to turn the hot and cold taps for the perfect temperature. When she broke her hip and had to be put in a care home, I helped my aunt and my mom clean the house up for sale.

I started on the fridge and went into a huge fit of laughter. The eggs were all dated in pencil right on the shells. Only trouble was, some of them were 10 years old (no lie). We very carefully set them into a small box, put that in a bag and tied it tight. We then gently set that into the larger garbage bag. We took no changes on having them break - ever smelled rotten eggs?

Yes I have...nuff said.
If you had given the older ones a shake, you might have noticed a rattle, unless the fridge stopped them from aging. After a length of time, the insides of the egg will dry up into little bits.

Okay, I'm not saying I don't have antiques in my fridge, I do.

There was a tv show on last night that was interesting. It was about some overweight person that just needed some inspiration and help, and some organizing and reteaching to eat more healthy. He said 'I'm here to save your life'-it was a good show. He inspected the people's refrigerators and emptied out all the bad stuff-high calorie empty calorie stuff and filled it and organized it with nutritious foods, fruits veggies lean meats and whole grains. I wish my fridge always looked like that. (he did the same thing with the pantry and the garage)
He said by organizing everything (fridge pantry garage etc), the person would save enough time to have time to exercise/walk. It was cool. He had a person walk for 2 and 1/2 hours carrying a box with a slice of cake, to teach her it took that long walking to exercise off the calories in the cake.
I had insomnia last night, which is why I watched. I was tired after that lady walked for so long. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom