Can coffee be left out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I make my coffee the same way, and was frustrated with a burning hot coffee mug handle as well. I don't like microwaved coffee a whole lot, either. One day I decided to heat the concentrated coffee in the microwave, in a Dixie "grab and go" paper cup, I heated it just until it felt like room temp...then I poured it into a warmed coffee mug, and then added the boiling water. It's the perfect temp for me, and makes me a happy lady in the morning *s* I save the paper cup and use it several times.

Well, I'd disagree about the chicken stock and coffee comparison, but it is pretty moot.

So place the coffee concentrate in a container, and place it in a bowl or pan. Pour in some boiling water, and let the coffee concentrate warm up.

Then proceed as normal.

can't you heat the concentrate together with the water in the kettle, wich means making the mixture before any heat comes into?

But I think, it should not be a real problem to leave it outside for a few days.
Can't you divide the concentrate into smaller bottles with coffee for about four days in it?
There are very few nutrients in the liquid coffee, so there is not much for the mold to live from..
I would just give it a try...

It sounds as though someone could make a financial killing if they invented a cool handled microwaveable coffee mug!

It sounds as though someone could make a financial killing if they invented a cool handled microwaveable coffee mug!

Every coffee cup I have can go in the microwave for 2-3 minutes and still not be too hot to handle.

can't you heat the concentrate together with the water in the kettle, wich means making the mixture before any heat comes into?
That would do two things that I do not want to do.
1. It would mean that I now have to wash out the kettle and I don't want to do that.
2. It would cook the coffee more than I want destroying the very reason for making the concentrate in the first place.

OK so I took Alix's advice and poured the concentrate into a measuring cup. Yes that does mean I have another cup to wash, but at least this one can go in the dishwasher. It is not a perfect solution, but compromises must be made I suppose. I had to nuke it for 45 seconds to get it to room temp, but I was heating more concentrate than I actually needed. I needed to do that today, but usually I would be able to heat just what I need so I could probably cut that down to 30 seconds in the future. The coffee is still cooling faster than I would like, but definitely not as fast as before. The taste has not changed though and that was my biggest concern.

Good thought jabbur, but I don't want to switch mugs. We searched long and hard to find the mugs we wanted and there is no way I am going to give up using these.

Why not get a few of these little guys: Glass Pinch Bowls. They're perfect for heating small quantities of whatever - I use mine mainly to melt small amounts of butter - and they're also good for holding prepared or measured components of a recipe. They don't take up a lot of space in your cupboard or dishwasher, either.

I do have those, but again it goes against what I want to accomplish as it will require cleaning another dish.

There seems to be some confusion of what I am looking for and that is probably my fault for not being clear so let me try to explain what I am and am not looking for.

1. I want a way to keep my coffee as hot as it it were from a drip pot.
2. I do not want to use a drip pot. I want to use the cold brewed coffee I make.
3. I do not want to use the microwave if at all possible because I feel this changes the taste.
4. I do not want to dirty additional dishes to accomplish this.
5. I do not want to buy additional items to do this.

My suggestion was only to replace the measuring cup you used with success (as reported in your recent post) with something smaller - because I do understand that you didn't want an extra dish to wash (and the rest of it). If you already have those, then you wouldn't need to buy anything. ;)

GB, I am LMAO at this whole thread. Seems to be a whole lot of trouble for something that should be so simple. You are truly a foodie my friend. Frankly, I love my coffee and am even a bit snobbish about it but there is no way I would go to that much trouble for it. I can barely function in the morning without it and often stand staring at the coffeepot/kettle or whatever I'm using that morning and think in my head "COME ON ALREADY!"

OK, I had another thought and you can tell me what you think of this one. I seem to recall you have a coffeemaker do you not? Why don't you use that with your concentrate? Yes you would have the coffeepot to wash, but you will have that one extra dish no matter what you do. Just put the concentrate in the pot and let the coffeemaker work as usual. You will get smoking hot coffee made with your cold brewed concentrate, and it will be on the hot pad to keep it warm (or in a carafe to keep it warm). Will that work?

OK, I had another thought and you can tell me what you think of this one. I seem to recall you have a coffeemaker do you not? Why don't you use that with your concentrate? Yes you would have the coffeepot to wash, but you will have that one extra dish no matter what you do. Just put the concentrate in the pot and let the coffeemaker work as usual. You will get smoking hot coffee made with your cold brewed concentrate, and it will be on the hot pad to keep it warm (or in a carafe to keep it warm). Will that work?

You're a genius.

I know I am being a picky pain in the you know what guys so thanks for putting up with me. apple*tart I understand what you are saying, but the measuring cup was something I tried, but did not want as a final solution.

Alix, the drip pot would not make sense as that would cook the concentrate negating any benefit from doing the cold brew.

I love that you guys have all tried to find solutions to my problem. You all rock for that. Really though, what I was trying to find out is if the coffee would go bad if left out. I knew I was not going to find another solution that would work for me, but I do appreciate all the effort, really!

No problem, I completely understand about getting things the way you want it.

I wouldn't nix Alix's coffeemaker idea so quickly, though. I think it's worth a shot. From what I've read and understood, the unique taste of the cold-brewed coffee comes from the cold-brewing process and what it extracts (and doesn't extract) from the beans. Heating it shouldn't negate that, because it's already done. It's worth a shot. You could even allow the carafe to fill up a bit and then add the extract, so that the extract doesn't sit in bare glass on the hot plate. Why not give it a shot? You might like it.

One final thought, how about microwaving the mug until it's warm to the touch, then adding the hot water from the kettle and the cold concentrate?

GB, since you are being picky, could I ask a question? What is the food on your avatar? Does it go well with coffee? See I didn't venture far from the coffee subject.

OK, I know coffee doesn't get moldy overnight, so why not just put enough concentrate on the counter the night before?

Back
Top Bottom