Chicken in the fridge too long?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennifer75

Senior Cook
I bought a tray of chicken pieces on Thursday last week, and it's been in the fridge since then. Never gone up to the top. Is it safe?

I'd probably go by the sell-by date on the package. If it's passed, I'd chuck them. I'd cry, but I'd chuck them.

"Sell By" dates are usually dates applied my the manufacturer telling the retailer when to pull their product from display...At home products may last beyond the "Sell By" date...Milk would be an example...Quite often milk is good/safe beyond it's Sell By date IF IT HAS BEEN PROPERLY HANDLED....Your package of Chicken may very well be fine depending on HOW IT WAS HANDLED. Only you would know this...How cold your refrigerator is...How much and how has your refrigerator been used over the past couple of days etc....At my house a package of Chicken 1 day past it's Sell By Date would probably not be an issue...However I would use it now...or freeze it for later.
HTH

Ditto Jennyema (not on the throwing away thing)and Uncle Bob. But definitely smell to tell. I always try to repackage my meats within two days of purchasing it anyways to get it off of that absorbant cloth that it on the bottom of the packaging. Why let the meat sit in it's own "juices" for any longer than it has to, ya know?

"Sell By" dates are usually dates applied my the manufacturer telling the retailer when to pull their product from display...At home products may last beyond the "Sell By" date...Milk would be an example...Quite often milk is good/safe beyond it's Sell By date IF IT HAS BEEN PROPERLY HANDLED

I have been trying to tell my husband this for years!!!

There is a difference between sell by and use by. Most foods should be good several 2-3 days after the sell by date if, as Bob says, it was properly stored. Of course, you can't know that except for the time after you buy it.

I agree that this close to the sell by date, a smell check should do the trick.

Chicken is no less safe than beef or pork as long as it is cooked properly, and may even get better handling, in general, since every one seems wary of it.

Well I lucked out, the sell by date was the 27th, and I cooked it day before yesterday, the 26th. Swew.

I usually open and repackage smaller portions of my chicken, so I don't have this problem later. But, well, I didn't this time.

I would use a product a couple of days past the sell by date if I was reasonably sure the product had remained cold. However, I would use it in a dish that I was sure was going to be cooked near the top of the temp range, and held there for a few minutes. Baking comes to mind.

there should not be any harm in storing them into your fridge for a long time until the date it passes the expiry date. Even in stores they are preserved in refrigerators and you might not be knowing since when.
But my question would be, How could you control yourself from not having it and just see it in your fridge.

Go by Smell if it sticks throw it out.

I'd throw it in some salted water let sit for 20-30 min rinse it off and if still smells toss it.
Years ago I worked at a Poultry/meat store. Heres a hint for all. when buying chicken in a package when you bring it home poke a hole in the wrapper. As chicken will gas up and spoil before its time.

Thanks for the poultry hint ('poke a hole in the wrapper'), letscook. It's threads like this that encouraged me to join up.

Make the grocery your last stop before going home. At home, immediately place chicken in a refrigerator that maintains 40 °F, and use within 1 or 2 days, or freeze at 0 °F. If kept frozen continuously, it will be safe indefinitely.

Back
Top Bottom