Corn Chowder, 6 days old

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This explains why my daughter, who was going to Disneyland twice or more a week from the time she was 14 days to the time she was 3, and then Sea World every weekend until she was 12, has missed less than 10 days in 12 years of school. We got her built up and kicking those bugs butts all these years. :)

I agree as well. Even my Dr. has started talking about this 'trend' they are seeing. IE children living in 'sterile' environments never developing these immunities and then seeming to go into meltdown when they finally are.
Case in point are a lot of my wifes customers. These moms sterilize everything and are scared to death to let their kids play in the dirt. The house is kept spotless, sterilized, even the air sterilized.
Then, they spend the rest of the day listing off all the allergies and ailments their child has mysteriously developed recently.....
Maybe its not scientific data, but seems more than just coincidence here.;)

But that's no excuse to be a slob either! As my brother in law always used to put it: Being poor isn't an excuse for being unclean (he grew up poor, as did I).:-p

I agree as well. Even my Dr. has started talking about this 'trend' they are seeing. IE children living in 'sterile' environments never developing these immunities and then seeming to go into meltdown when they finally are.
Case in point are a lot of my wifes customers. These moms sterilize everything and are scared to death to let their kids play in the dirt. The house is kept spotless, sterilized, even the air sterilized.

What I find amazing is how if ONE person behaves this way, think Howard Hughes, we see that person as a freaking Looney Tune.

But if an entire segment of the population behaves effectively the same way it becomes a norm.

Crazy!

Two interesting things about hand sanitizers. The first is in relation to my previous post, bacteria excrement. Sanitizers may kill the germs but they do nothing for removing the germ poop.

Second thing is many if not most hand sanitizers contain known carcinogens.

>>>

I'm working on getting my twenty posts so I can post links , I just got this from the CDC site:

"handwashing soap containing 0.2% triclosan ... that use of products containing triclosan may foster the emergence of antimicrobial drug– or biocide-resistant organisms"

The page/ study also says the use of such soaps do little if anything to prevent the transmission of microflora.

So these soaps are not helping in stopping the transmission (carrage) of 'germs' versus regular soaps, and is possably forcing the mutation of 'germs' into drug resistant forms.

Outstanding.

Don't think I'm against hand washing. Simple hand washing is the most effective way to prevent the spread of disease. I've heard some pretty high numbers of reduction in sickness, on the order of 85%.

Wow, it's getting late ....

Then, they spend the rest of the day listing off all the allergies and ailments their child has mysteriously developed recently.....
Maybe its not scientific data, but seems more than just coincidence here.;)

But that's no excuse to be a slob either! As my brother in law always used to put it: Being poor isn't an excuse for being unclean (he grew up poor, as did I).:-p[/QUOTE]

Are those fresh embryos and worms, or have they been sitting in the fridge for a week?

Makes a difference.

I'm with Jenny on this. And this was discussed tonight in my Sanitation class (teacher said we would discuss this more next class)

Yes, cooking kills most of the pathogens and parasites. But bacteria and parasites are living creatures, like everything that lives they eat and EXCREET. These excretions are toxins.

Cooking/ recooking does little to nothing to reduce the bacteria/ pathogen and parasite poop ... I mean toxins.

Then there are the bacteria which form spores when placed in hostile environments. Some of these spores are rather difficult to kill. After cooking the spores return to bacteria and grow in the fridge, some times with a vengeance.

I was so much happier before I started taking this class.

Wart,

I don't disagree with you. But the vast majority of those toxins are not harmful and are not heat stable. If they were you couldn't eat anything without getting sick. There are billions of bacteria out there.

There are not that many bacteria that form spores, and many are not all that heat resistant either. Botulism is surely one that is, but it occurs in anaerobic conditions only, which is why it is usually associated with canned foods.

Of the spore formers and the toxin formers that make you sick, the toxin formation and bacteria growth from the spores happens AFTER cooking and again is a result of improper cooking or handling or both.

The exception would be foods that you normally don't cook, like raw spinach.

If you read the whole thread you will see that I'm in the "throw it out camp". But I think it is very important that folks focus their energy in food safety where the biggest potential for problems are, and that is contamination of food after cooking and improper food storage by keeping food too long in the danger zone.

I made it last Thursday. Would you eat it? There's no meat in it, but I'm thinking toss it. I toss most things after 3 days. There's so much of it I hate to waste it though. :ermm:

I made a ham & potato chowder and we ate most of it. I noticed that it was going bad after 3-4 days because there was liquid starting to form on top of the leftovers. That is not good.

Back
Top Bottom