Cut or Burn?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which do you find happens to you more in the kitchen?

• I cut myself

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • I burn myself

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • I do both about the same amount.

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters
buckytom said:
never, EVER, put ointment, or anything greasy on burns. cold water is about the only thing you should put on a burn, to arrest the temperature ofthe burning skin. and unless you know what you're doing, don't cover or dress a burn, unless it's bleeding.
people used to put butter on burns!!!! they might as well have put an eggwash on it.
nothing like helping the skin to get that sweet buttery taste, and golden crust.

Did you know that lemon extract is also good for a burn?
Helps the hurt and you smell like pledge.

Actually, for a while there, I was keeping a can of Solarcaine in the kitchen for such mishaps. Works wonders.

jkath, lemon would be good for inhibiting bacteria, but if you think about it, you're adding a mild acid to a burn. i think that would make things worse.
doctors have special, very poisonous creams for burns, containing silver sulphadiazine. my doc gave us some when my son had bad diaper rash. it works 100x better than any otc stuff.

check out this link for first aid for burns: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T085500.asp

Given my nature, I burn:LOL: In more ways than one:LOL: But, really I'm always careful with my
knives and keep them sharp. A dull knife for me is disaster..
But get me around something hot and yep I burn myself..The worst was when I decided to make a pot roast, got the pot on added the oil, did't pay attention to time..When I went to slide the meat into the oil, which by now was smoking, it slipped off the fork and the oil splatterd both hands and my forhead and nose..My hands got the worst of it and it was prettu bad...Anti-biotics and paying more attention helped:LOL: But even with my asbestos finger tips, I still get my wrists and loswer arms returning or taking things out of the oven...Will I ever learn NOPE I'll just keep on cookin:ROFLMAO:

kadesma

I think people put butter on a burn back in the day because burns dry out and the skin peels off, just like when you sunburn, and you try to keep that to a minimum by moisturizing the skin.

As for cutting or burning, I burn more often, but I did end up in the emergency room the night before Easter this year because I cut my finger slicing a roast. I was on Coumadin at the time and the Dr. said not to cut yourself when you're on Coumadin, but they never told me what to do if you DID cut yourself. It wasn't a terrible cut in the grand scheme of things, but it bled like a massacre for hours and hours. So, lesson learned...Don't cut yourself if you're on Coumadin, and if you do, you may as well head for the ER.

BC

While I did peel part of myself while doing taters recently, I am usually in the burn category. Got a nifty new scar on my wrist from cooking veal to prove it.

I am also famous around here for not turning the oven off after using it.

mudbug said:
While I did peel part of myself while doing taters recently, I am usually in the burn category. Got a nifty new scar on my wrist from cooking veal to prove it.

I am also famous around here for not turning the oven off after using it.
Turn off the oven,sure, later...:LOL: I have lots of goofey things that drive my son-in-law around the bend..I turn on the water, yep leave it going, but let someone set down a glass and look away, woosh it's in the washer, same with the lights, off they go...So you're not alone there Bug, I'm right beside ya :LOL:
kadesma

A cutter here. I remember once I was home and did something stupid with the blender(too embarrased to say what it was)Anyway, lets just say it was horrible, I was terrified of even looking at it.I tried to put a band-aid on but it wouldn't stop bleeding, I even tried to sleep, but the pain was too much, so I got up, and went to the hosipital. The docter had to stitch two of my fingers, and told me not to touch water with the hand for a week. Anyway as I was living a lone, I called my mum who turned up to stay with me for two weeks while I enjoyed her cooking!

I'm resurrecting this thread because it made me laugh a bit. I reread the answers and realized I am once again in a burn phase of stupid. I have a HUGE scar on the back of my hand where I got a steam burn several months ago and I just burnt the crap out of my forefinger and thumb getting a bowl out of the microwave. Unbeknownst to me, that bowl must have some metal in its construction. I'm a blistery mess.

I think I'd almost RATHER cut myself. It hurts less!

I do neither... not more often than the other anyway.
Maybe once every year or two I'll either cut or burn myself while cooking.

Seriously pacanis? I do something fairly major every couple of months. My hands are no longer pretty!

Burns have been the most common, cuts are rare and not as traumatic. I've removed skin with a couple of the burns and one ran all the way up my wist to my elbow. Ovens and deep fat fryers are my nemeses. Most of my cuts I don't even notice unless I'm working with lemons.

I burn myself annually - at Thanksgiving. It's become a tradition it seems. It's always on the metal handles of the turkey roaster. No matter how hard I try they always get me good on one hand, wrist or arm. I've decided that it is an insurance that the turkey will be delicious !

Cuts are a bit more common although not frequent. I usually don't notice them until much later when something salty or acidic gets into it .. then it's full on whiney baby cryer I need a bandaid LOL

I rarely get burned, but manage to cut myself regularily. As others have said, I rarely notice unless working with acid or salt. Have stabbed myself reaching into the dishwasher silverware compartment, and keep me away from peelers, shredders and microplanes. I have a Kevlar glove to use with the mandolin, prior to the glove I have misplaced a few layers of skin.

I've removed skin with a couple of the burns and one ran all the way up my wist to my elbow. Ovens and deep fat fryers are my nemeses.

i worked at a burger king when i was in high school and saw a bully toss a coworkers wallet into the deep fryer. without thinking, the kid reached down into the 375 degree oil to retrieve it.

when he pulled his hand out, the skin was literally melting off.

bt, did you toss that coworker into the oil later? He would have deserved it. :mad:

I'm pretty much an equal-opportunity klutz. I've tried to be careful around hot stuff ever since my Mom burned a line across her forehead taking a pan out of an upper gas oven and setting in on top the burners...forgot the rack was out. OOops!

Rarely are my mishaps major, although I did have a stupid burn event. I had been cooking at least a decade when Himself and I got married. We had pork chops for dinner one night and I had made scalloped apples that were staying warm in the oven. Well, the cookware we had advertised "stay cool handle" and I reached into the 350 degree oven and...lifted the pan all the way to the cooktop because I didn't want to waste the apples! :ohmy: Lots of little burns over the years, but I've gotten used to it. Lots of little cuts, too, except for a nasty I got when I used my brand new Zwilling knife the first time. A really sharp knife really DOES leave a clean, quick-healing cut!

never, EVER, put ointment, or anything greasy on burns. cold water is about the only thing you should put on a burn, to arrest the temperature ofthe burning skin.....

My MIL had the best trick for a burn (worked like a charm in the accident above): alternate ice baths and salt applications on the burn. First ice (mostly to get the hand wet) until you feel like you're getting frostbite. Then liberally coat the burned spot with table salt to draw out the heat and leave it on either till the spot dries or the burn heat starts to bother you. Then back in the ice water bath till freezing, back to the salt coat, and on and on until the burn doesn't feel really warm. I slept fine the night I had grabbed that handle, woke in the morning to no blister or red mark. I've done that treatment for any other burn since and have no scars. Don't know how you could do it to a belly though Alix. ;)

that's pretty neat as salt dissolving in water is endothermic. great idea for an unopened burn.

thanks, i'll have to try that.

Back
Top Bottom